Choosing a qualified Plastic Surgeon for breast explantation.. would it be better to go back to the same PS who put them in?

I want the procedure to not only be safe of course, but Not botched-looking (and the surgeon who put them in did a great job of making me look fantastic). The thing is that I've moved a few states away since then. Details: I have Mentor silicone, extra wide, 325cc in both breasts (for 5 years). The "capsule" seems soft & supple. In brief, I want them out because they are heavy, & I don't feel well.

Use a local surgeon if possible.

+2
In principle, it would be great to have the original surgeon.  However, unless there are just no good local options available, it would be best to have a local surgeon.  Post implant removal, you may have drains and you may have a fluid build up issue called a seroma. 

Boise Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a qualified Plastic Surgeon for breast explantation...

+1

Thank you for the question. I would suggest that you select your plastic surgeon carefully; make sure that he/she is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed

Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person will be helpful.  You may also find the attached link, dedicated to breast implant removal concerns, helpful to you.

Explanation

+1
I would recommend contacting your original Plastic Surgeon (since you are happy with your results) and make sure he/she performs explantation often. If not you could contact American Society of Plastic Surgeons for a recommendation in your area. Best of luck to you!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Explantation

+1
Removal of breast implants is one that any Board certified plastic surgeon should be able to perform; however, I feel that it is always best to have the original plastic surgeon to do the procedure.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

+1
You could see your Plastic Surgeon to have your breast implants removed, but since you have moved ,contact the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for recommendations of Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Removing fantastic looking breast implants

+1
Any experienced and board certified plastic surgeon should be able to do a simple removal of implants through an inframammary crease incision assuming they are intact and nothing else is going on. The result should look like your breast before the procedure if your breasts haven't changed much in five years and the original implant was not too big and distorted your breast. In my opinion there is no reason to remove the capsule around the implant unless it is demonstrably abnormal. A simple removal can be done with local anesthesia and IV sedation. 
However, I would not remove your implants because you think they are "heavy" and because you don't "feel well". The implants have not changed in a way that would make them "heavy" that wasn't there from when they were put in. There is also no good evidence that silicone gel-filled implants can effect your health whether they are intact or not. It is highly unlikely that you will feel better or your health will be improved by removing them. This is not to say that you can't choose to have them removed. You chose to have them put in. But like the original procedure, it's not a good idea to do a procedure with unrealistic expectations or reasons. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon