What bonding attachments to crowns might my dentist use for Invisalign?

I have a premolar with a crown. An attachment would not stay affixed to my crown. Is there a special bonding agent or method used for this? My next appointment is coming up and I am curios in what methods my dentist will use. Any feedback is appreciated!

How to Bond to Dental Procelain

+1
Bonding to dental porcelain is a sometimes thing.  I have had great success with roughing up porcelain, using a strong acid etch (hydroflouric) and over curing the bonding agent and composite.  Even with the success I have had, I still have attachments come off sometimes.  There is no good answer here. Slow meticulous work is required.  Good luck!

New Haven Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding to crowns

+1
Bonding to crowns is a challenge.  We can rough up the surface and etch with HF gel.  But it is always tenuous.  SOmetimes they last, sometimes they don't.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding to crowns is very difficult

+1
Bonding to porcelain is very challenging when simply placing something "passively", so the durability is even worse with moving teeth, as pressure or torque is placed in an effort to move the teeth.  More traditional methods are more effective (brackets) or doing the case without buttons on the crown.  The best method is to use a diamond bur to remove the outer gloss of the crown to get the bonding agent to bond better, perhaps even using air abrasion.  Several bonding agents would then be used, but with a very pessimistic outlook.  I would try to do the case without buttons on this tooth or simply redo the crown, but during treatment use a temporary crown that has buttons on it.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ceramic/porcelain etching and bonding

+1
If the crown is ceramic or porcelain, then the surface can be roughened, and then etched with hydrofluoric acid. After that one can bond attachments to the crown just as one would with regular tooth enamel.

Kiyan Mehdizadeh, DMD
San Diego Cosmetic Dentist