Do Spreader Grafts Make the Nose Wider?

I had a septorhinoplasty 2 weeks ago. My dorsal hump was removed and the surgeon placed spreader grafts and did osteotomies. My nose looks much wider from the front now and the tip is also bulbous. Are tbe spreader grafts makinf my nose wider? Is it possible to narrow the nose if I have a revision ?

Do spreader grafts make the nose wider?

+1

Spreader grafts can make the nose appear slightly wider. However, much of what you are seeing is due to swelling. The swelling can influence the appearance of the nose after surgery, and will take some time to resolve. 70% of the swelling goes down after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. In general, it can take 18-24 months to see the final result of surgery. I would recommend waiting a bit and see how you continue to heal. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions you have in the meantime. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialist.com

Spreader grafts can make the nose wider but usually do not.

+1

Spreader grafts placed to improve airway. Generally they have no effect on the with of the nose. Thicker spreader grafts can increase the width.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,25-atlanta-rhinoplasty.htm

Spreader Grafts and Nasal Width

+1

At two weeks postop from a rhinoplasty you should not make any conclusions regarding the appearance of your nose.  Spreader grafts are generally pretty thin and help to open up the nasal vault.  In general, they should not widen the nose.  If the nose remained wide the nasal osteotomies could be repeated to narrow the nose.

Spreader grafts and the wide dorsum

+1

Spreader grafts are most commonly used to improve or maintain nasal breathing, and can be used to straighten a crooked nose

They will add bulk to the middle vault of the nose and can widen the dorsum. Given this the advantage of using them must out way the disadvantages. At this early stage though the widening will be due to swelling. Time and patience is what is needed.

Jeremy Hunt

Web reference: http://www.drjeremyhunt.com.au

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Spreader grafts and nasal width

+1

Yes, spreader grafts can make the middle vault slightly wider. However most of what you are probably seeing is swelling from surgery. Give it time to settle down.

Spreader grafts with rhinoplasty

+1

At two weeks post-op from a rhinoplasty, your nose will look very wide due to the swelling. I would be reassured that it is not necessarily a result of the spreader grafts. 

Spreader grafts are often a very good idea after taking a dorsal hump down in order to prevent over-narrowing and collapse down the road. They do widen the middle third of the nose by a couple of millimetre, but this area of the nose often needs a bit of extra width both from a breathing and an appearance perspective. 

I know it is hard, but try and be patient. Hopefully as the swelling goes down over the next few months, you will be happy with the way the nose looks as well as the way you breathe. 

Web reference: http://facetoronto.com/practice/rhinoplasty

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do Spreader Grafts Make the Nose Wider?

+1

Dear Lilly,

Thank you for your question.  Yes, spreader grafts can make the dorsum look wider as they widen the top of the septum.  Some of the wideness at this point may also be swelling, as well as the bulbous nature of your tip.  Allow 6-12 months to determine if a revision is needed.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Spreader grafts may make the nose appear wider in the middle third of your nose

+1

Spreader grafts may make the nose appear wider but this is usually very subtle. At 2 weeks most of the width that you are seeing is from swelling. It is too early to be thinking about a revision as you will probably be much happier once the swelling resolves. Be patient and if you still have concerns 9 months from now I would discuss with your surgeon a revision to narrow the nose.

Spreader grafts can make the nose look wider

+1

Thank you for the question.  Spreader grafts can make the nose look wider.  To address this thinner spreader grafts can be used, auto-spreader grafts can be used, or the spreader grafts can be removed.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/photo-gallery/details.cfm?ID=189&StartRow=11