Will Spreader Grafts Reverse the Narrowing Effect of Osteotomies?

I had an open septorhinoplasty done 3 weeks ago. The surgeon removed a hump, did osteotomies and inserted spreader grafts. However, my nose looks much wider than before. Will my nose go back to how narrow it was before surgery? Are the spreader grafts reversing the narrowing effect of osteotomies by making the bridge of my nose wider?

Spreader grafts for rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Dear Lilly23,

1. The spreader grafts only minimally widen the nose, and in a natural way
  2. For that area of the nose, it is normal to look wide in the early stages of healing
  3. Spreader grafts are meant to balance the nose and improve your breathing
  4. Depending on what your nose looked like, the use of spreader grafts can give it a more proportional look

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

+1

Spreader grafts can widen the appearance, but, this early after rhinoplasty, it is premature to be concerned about the final result.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty healing

+1

At 3 weeks after rhinoplasty surgery, there would still be some expected swelling of the nose, which will make the nose look wide.  Spreader grafts should not cause the nose to look significantly wider than before your surgery.  As the swelling of your nose subsides, the bridge of your nose should get more narrow.  It can take 6-12 months for the healing process to be completed.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Osteotomies, Spreader Grafts and Nasal Width

+1

When a hump is reduced, osteotomies are performed to re-narrow the bridge of the nose.  Spreader are placed to support the middle third of the nose's cartilage side walls (called the upper lateral cartilages).  If you had a very high hump, then your nose will probably never be as narrow as before surgery.  However, that doesn't mean that it will look wide.  Ideally, the combination of osteotomies and spreader grafts will create beautiful aesthetic lines between your brows and tip, improving how your nose looks.  It is unusual for spreader grafts to be able to significantly widen the entire bridge of the nose. Since you are only 3 weeks after surgery, you are still in the early contraction phase after surgery.  Expect your nose to look gradually more narrower over the next few months.  I hope that helps!

Minas Constantinides, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

No, spreader grafts are typically cartilage grafts placed at the level of the internal nasal valve or the junction of the tip and upper lateral cartilages adjacent to the nasal septum.  This is well below and in the middle of the nose compared to the nasal bones narrowed with osteotomies.  That would require another technique based on the appearance of the nasal bones.