Do Spreader Grafts Like the Tissue or Cartlidge Itself Swell?

Spreader grafts after rhinoplasty seem huge up my nose do they shrink down over time or am I going to have them getting in the way I can barely navigate a q tip or saline spray as they are so big snd visible

Do Spreader Grafts Swell?

Cartilage, which does not swell, is usually used for spreader grafts. However the surrounding tissue will swell. Consult with your surgeon who can explain the progression of your recovery.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Spreader grafts

Generally spreader grafts are not a problem.  You probably have swelling from the surgery that is causing your problem.  See your surgeon for exam.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

Spreader grafts in rhinoplasty

Dear Bbangelle,

1. Spreader grafts will heal well once the swelling comes down
  2. You could be seeing the swollen skin inside the nose and not the grafts as much
  3. If you have concerns, you should ask your surgeon to be sure

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

201 South Lasky Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Spreader grafts and rhinoplasty swelling

Spreader grafts will not change in size over time but the associated soft tissue swelling will change.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Do Spreader Grafts Like the Tissue or Cartilage Itself Swell?

It is impossible to speak to what was done during your surgery. However, spreader grafts are typically small cartilage grafts that do not obstruct the nostril or airway. It is highly likely that the bulk or volume is due to swelling if you are within the first three months following surgery. If you're having trouble with your airway, you can followup with your rhinoplasty surgeon and have them evaluate your nose and your airway. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124

Spreader grafts generally do not affect the outward appearance of the nose.

When swelling has subsided spreader grafts usually do not affect the overall appearance of the nose.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305