Spreader Grafts Made of Irradiated Donor (Banked) Rib Cartilage, What Are the Risks?

My surgeon suggested he'll use irradiated rib cartilage for the spreader grafts only if there is no septum left because he'll make the dorsal onlay of septal cartilage and the tip grafts of ear cartilage. So my question is what are the risks with irradiated spreader grafts, what if they resorp or warp what can happen in the long term? Thank you.

Spreader grafts from nasal or ear cartilage

+1

there should be enough nasal and ear cartilage  present to fashion spreader grafts, dorsal onlay grafts, and  tip graft. Irradiated rib cartilage may not be necessary, so resorption should not be an issue.

Irradiated rib cartilage and spreader grafts

+1

Irradiated rib graft iis an option for grafting material and will respond similar to your own cartilage.  The resorption rate may be a bit higher than using your own but long term studies suggest that fibrous ingrowth may occur and hold up the structural integrity that the grafts originally were used for.

Irradiated rib grafts for rhinoplasty

+1

The main risks of irradiate rib grafts related to resorption (the graft being absorbed by the body over time). Any grafts can potentially warp or bend, but irradiated rib is not much more likely to do so than other grafts if it is carved and used correctly. 

For spreader grafts, irradiated rib may not be a bad option. Your own rib graft might be a better option, but it does involve a more complicated surgery.

-Dr. Asaria

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The two biggest risks of irradiated rib cartilage, as you mentioned, are warping and resorption. There are techniques that can minimize this risk. This trade-off is usually counter-balanced by the fact that you don't need an incision on your chest and very, very small risk of a collapsed lung during harvest of your own rib cartilage. Irradiated rib cartilage is typically very effective. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon