Do Spreader Grafts in the Mid-third of the Nose Take Longer to Heal?

I had primary closed rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago and everything is going fine. My breathing is improving daily and I can tell the swelling is going down where the bones were broken, where the bump was removed, and the tip. However the area in the mid third of my nose where the vertical spreader grafts were placed seems to be creating a slight slight bump...is this normal? The rest of the swelling seems to be steadily reducing and this area doesn't...

+2

Yes, the more you  to the nose and the more volume you add to the nose, in this case spreader grafts...the more likely there is to have these isolated lumps and prolonged healing after the Rhinoplasty.  

Extended Swelling Following Placement of Nasal Grafts

+2

Swelling following placement of nasal grafts in the middle third of the nose can take longer to heal. As healing progresses you will know if this is normal temporary swelling or if there is some excess cartilage that you are describing.

Prolonged swelling due to spreader grafts

+2

Yes, I think the swelling in the middle portion of the nose takes a little linger to go away when spreader grafts are placed. The difference however is not that great. You are still very early after surgery. Follow your surgeon's instructions and you should be fine.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Swelling where spreader grafts were placed

+2

It's hard to say if the bump you're feeling is normal. Your surgeon can examine your nose and give you a better assessment of the area. Ideally the area where the spreader grafts are placed is smooth, but it is possible you have more swelling in that area.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Spreader grafts might be a little high after rhinoplasty and therefore visible.

+1

Hi.

Three weeks is a very short time and everything may well resolve.  But your description sounds a little worrisome.  It is not uncommon for spreader grafts to stick up.  If this turns out to be the problem, they can be shaved down in several months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Spreader grafts and swelling

+1

Spreader grafts may make the middle vault slightly wider, but should not leave bumps unless they are lifting up.