Can Spreader Grafts Deproject the Nasal Tip?

My doctor said he didn't deproject my tip but my tip looks shorter after rhinoplasty. He did put spreader grafts in my bridge and now my bridge is higher. I was wondering if this can make the tip look more deprojected. Thanks

Can Spreader Grafts Deproject Nasal Tip #nosejob

+2

What a very technical question for a patient, and a good one. Normally spreader grafts should not affect tip projection. Tip projection is largely do to the lower lateral cartilages. Spreader grafts are used for so many different things in cosmetic and functional surgery. Mostly they affect cosmetically the dorsal aesthetic lines which are anatomic visual lines. We as Rhinoplasty surgeons look to be smooth in appearance and straight. So it helps to straighten those lines as well as help keep the septum straight. We use them to open up the internal nasal valve as well. However, I have never used them to perform any maneuvers on the nasal tip for projection. Spreader grafts should not affect your tip projection.

Spreader grafts should not de-project the tip.

+1

Spreader grafts should not deproject the tip. However, if they were used to raise a depressed nasal dorsum (as with a saddle deformity of the nose) the tip position my look lower compared to the new position of the bridge.  Ask him.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spreader grafts and tip deprojection

+1

Spreader grafts are used to support the middle third of the nose where the internal nasal valve is. Their placement isn't really related to whether the tip is deprojected or not. That being said the tip can become deprojected during the course of rhinoplasty for other reasons.

You can learn more about spreader grafts at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Spreader Grafts and Tip Projection

+1

Spreader grafts can raise and widen the bridge of the nose. This can make the tip look deprojected even if it is still in the same position. If your nose looks out of proportion the usual answer here is to raise the tip slightly to make the profile look better. This can be done with multiple methods such as a tip graft or columellar strut. Speak with your surgeon to see how this can be best rectified.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spreader grafts and tip projection

+1

Yes, the grafts can make your tip appear less projected.  The shape of the nose is about the relationship of all the elements that make up the nose.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Spreader grafts

+1

The spreader grafts that were placed give more width to the mid-third of the nose.  They are performed to improve airflow thru the nose, or for cosmetic improvement when an upper lateral cartilage is herniated inwards.  The spreader grafts do not have anything to do with decreasing projection of the tip of the  nose

Decreased Tip Projection after Rhinoplasty

+1

Spreader grafts will not influence tip projection. I need to see before and after pictures to comment on the changes following your surgery. You do not mention when the rhinoplasty was done - some of the features you describe are frequently and temporarily seen immediately after the operation.

The effect of spreader grafts

+1

Dear caught in the rain

• the projection of the tip of your nose after rhinoplasty is affected by several things:
  1. what other techniques were applied in your rhinoplasty
  2. how far out from surgery you are at this time
  3. your skin thickness
  4. the overall proportions of your nose to your face
  • In general though, traditional spreader grafts affect the middle of the nose not the tip.
  •  

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op rhinoplasty

+1

It is common for a nose to appear shorter after rhinoplasty, just from the swelling.. The tip should drop down o ER several months.  The spreader grafts probably have nothing to do with the situation.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD