Can a Spreader Graft Widen the Tip of my Nose After a Rhinoplasty Result That I Hate??

I had a tip rhinoplasty because I was unhappy with my bulbous nose and big drooping tip. I am thrilled that the ball on the very end and the dropping tip are gone, however, and I am not happy with the new shape of my tip from the front angle. I wanted to preserve the round "ball" because it was what defined me as a person. If I shove tissue balls or q-tips into my nostrils, it spreads my nose out to the shape that I want it again. Is there a surgical way to correct this back? Please help.

Want a wider tip back after Rhinoplasty

+2

IMHO, you are suffering from remorse after your Rhinoplasty.  Allow yourself to heal completely which takes 6-12 months as this will also give you some time to get used to your new nose.  The bulbous nasal tip did not define you as a person, describe your accomplishments nor show your inner personality...it was just a wide nasal tip that was less aesthetically attractive, IMHO, than the one your surgeon created.

If after your nose is completely healed, you wish to make the tip wider again, please consult with your previous surgeon and two other Rhinoplasty surgeons with good reputations.  If all three agree that you should do nothing, to widen the nasal tip, please take that advice.

Nasal tip revision

+1

Thank you for sharing your experience and photos. My first question to you is "when did you have your rhinoplasty."  The nasal tip is the last region of your nose to finish healing.  This reason is that the tip is the most cosmetically sensitive region,even the most subtle changes are significant. Also, the nasal tip is the most gravity sensitive region of the nose. So complete healing to the tip can take up to one year after a primary rhinoplasty. To help control tip healing, the rhinoplasty surgeon may elect to use injections. If you are more than one year out, a revision rhinoplasty can address some of your goals. However it would be best to be evaluated firsthand to see what techniques would be necessary for you.

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spreader graft can widen nose

+1

Spreader grafts are composed of cartilage and make the mid and lower third of the nose wider.  They can be used either unilaterally or bilaterally depending upon the patient’s needs, wishes, and desires.  They are frequently used when the upper lateral cartilage on one side is inwardly displaced.  If the nose is pinched on both sides, they are used bilaterally.  These grafts are typically harvested from the patient’s own cartilage from within the nose and are used to increase structural support to the midthird of the nose and does widen the area.  They can also improve airflow through the nose on the affected side.  

You may be a candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty to widen the tip of your nose after previous surgery.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. In my practice, Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results, works well for adding volume to your tip. Procedures are performed with topical anesthetic, and there is no downtime.

Please make sure your surgeon is experienced in the delicate art of using Injectable Fillers in your nose.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting a wider tip

+1

Unless you are more than 1 year post-op just wait and see how the rest of the nose shapes over time - if still concerned there are grafting options which may help.

Sam Naficy, MD

Tip widening

+1

Spreader grafts are traditionally used to widen the middle third of your nose.  Alternative grafts can be used to easily widen your tip.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Spreader graft

+1

It's hard to determine exactly what's bothering you and what you are looking for since the only straight frontal photo has the q tips in it.  Any way, spreader grafts are used to manage the width of the middle third of the nose, not the tip. If you have some pinching of the nostrils that you are trying to demonstrate, other typse of grafts such as lateral crural struts or battens may help.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip

+1

No spreader graft will not achieve widening of the tip.

It is inter crural graft that will widen the tip.

According to the pictures yo have a wide tip already. Conslt your surgeon and think hard of what you want ..