What Exactly Does a "Spreader Graft" Consist Of? Is It Cartilage or an Artificial Material?

Spreader grafts are made of cartilage.

+1

Spreader grafts almost always are made of septal or ear cartilage, and are used to open up the internal nasal valve area between the upper lateral cartilages and the septal cartilage. This can widen the appearance of the nose while improving breathing.

If a narrower nose is desired for cosmetic reasons, spreader grafts will not be a good solution for the breathing part or your nasal surgery plan--instead, consider partial inferior turbinectomy or turbinoplasty to enlarge each airway to the proper degree, and "skip" the spreader grafts.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

What is spreader graft made of?

+1

Spreader grafts are most commonly made of septal cartilage.  They can also be sourced from ear cartilage or  rib cartlage.  Previously there was some "artificial" spreader grafts, but there are largely not used anymore.  Hope that is helpful. All the best, Dr. Vartanian.

A. John Vartanian, MD
Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spreader grafts in the nose

+1

Spreader grafts are most frequently made of ear or nasal cartilage but can be made of synthetic material. I am not aware of anyone who uses anything but cartilage. The grafts are placed between the midline septal cartilage and the cartilages on either side of the septum (upper lateral cartilages) in order to keep the nasal airway open.

Aaron Stone, MD

+1

My "Spreader Grafts" are always cartilage. In fact I do not know of other materials for a spreader graft. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski