Will Spray Tanning Affect the Pigmentation of Tummy Tuck and Belly Button Scar?

I am hoping a tan will help hide my belly button scar and vertical scar some. Where tanning will actually make my scar worse at this point would spray tan be a good solution? I don't wanna do anything that jeprodizes my results.

Will spray tanning affect the pigmentation of tummy tuck and belly button scar?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question!  This should not impact your incision and safe to use, once completely healed.  After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. Sunblock is recommended regardless. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on.

Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. It takes up to one year for scars to fully mature. You should also avoid trauma to the area for several months to protect the refinements made during the procedure. Also, avoidance of pools/lakes/jacuzzis/etc for 4-6 weeks is usually recommended to allow adequate healing and protection from stagnant water, that could potentially harbor bacteria. Lifting/exercise restrictions are common for at least 6 weeks. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Spray Tanning

+1

Spray tanning will have no affect on the scar. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to cover up a scar. If you are looking into an airbrushed spray tan, you can try different pigments to camouflage the scar. Also, keep in mind spray tanning offers no protection from the sun.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

Once your incision is healed--as in no drainage for at least a week--I would have no issues with spray tanning, but as always, it is best to run this by your surgeon, along with info on the specific product. 

All the best.