2 Spots, One on Forearm, One on Calf, Pimples That Morphed into Bumps? (photo)

I have a pimple on my forearm, and it never quite healed, and just turned into this bump that kind of felt weird. Every so often I pick it.They, because theres a smaller one on my calf. It also was once a randomly placed pimple, that is now a random bump, and it keeps returning. I also had something like this about 10 years ago when i was younger, on my knee. A pimple, that stayed around for a few years. It did eventually go away. I know picking isn't good. Besides burning it off what can I do?

Pimples that morphed into bumps

+1

One other possibility besides dermatofibromas which my colleagues have suggested, is an infected and therefore enlarged hair follicle. Sometimes "pimples" are actually small cysts that form in follicles. Like all my colleagues suggested, at this point these sites aren't going to resolve on their own and you should see a board-certified dermatologist for an evaluation.

Most likely they are dermatofibromas

+1

I agree with my collegues that these are most likely dermatofibromas, which are benign. You should make an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist to confirm these suspicions. Good luck!

Curt Samlaska, MD

Non-Healing Lesion on the Skin - What to do?

+1

Thank you for submitting photographs. Unfortunately it is very difficult to determine what these lesions are from the pictures.  Your description is possibly suggestive of a non-malignant (benign) growth which we call dermatofibromas. These are commonly seen on the extremities, and often result from minor trauma (ie. picking, bite, pimple) to the skin. Given the length of time and the fact that these lesions are non-healing, I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist to have them evaluated. Nothing replaces an in-office evaluation. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Persistent Non-Healing Lesions on the Skin

+1

It is very difficult to tell what these lesions are from your pictures. In some cases, scars or benign dermatofibromas can form on the calves and forearms after trauma to the area. These could start as pimples or bug bites initially, and then turn into firm bumps on the skin. However, in any individual that complains of non-healing lesions, skin cancer is always a consideration. In fact, a "non-healing" bump can be one of the signs of skin cancer. These spots need to be formally evaluated by a dermatologist.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon