Are Their Any Spot Reduction Procedures That Do Not Kill the Fat Cells?

Hi I'm just wondering are their any spot reduction procedures that do not kill the fat cells in the body similar to liposuction (which kills fat cells)? I want to gain weight more proportionate. I want to reduce fat in the mainly in the upper abdominal, obliques, lower abdominal, flanks, middle back, and lower back. i want to reduce fat on the anterior deltoid, triceps, and under the chin as well.

What happens to fat cells after liposuction, smartlipo, vaser liposuction and Zerona

+1

Standard or tumescent liposuction works by suctioning the excess fat cells out of the body.  This technique usually leaves the remaining fat cells intact  and alive.  With laser assisted liposuction (Smartlipo) or ultrasound assisted liposuction (Vaser lipo) an energy source is added, which causes the disruption and liquification of the fat cells.  The liquified fat is then removed with liposuction.  In this case, some of the remaining fat cells may be killed and later resorbed by the body's normal healing processes. 

Zerona is a non-surgical, non-invasive, external laser light treatment that can stimulate fat cells, causing the fat cells to shrink in size without killing the cells.   All of the above options for fat removal and body contouring have their advantages and disadvantages.  Check with your physician to see which treatment may offer you the best result in your individual case.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Reduction of Fat without Liposuction

+1

Liposuction and a machine that freezes the fat cells will injure or remove the cell. The only technology that I am aware of that can reduce fat without permanently injuring the cell is Zerona. It is a low level laser that causes the cell wall to open temporarily to allow the fat to seep out and be absorbed. This works very well, even for small areas, in the hands of an experienced technician.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Most of the fat shaping procedures other than weight loss remove or kill fat cells.

+1

Liposuction removes fat cells with mechanical removal and suction.  SmartLipo (laser liposuction)  melts fat with a laser.  Vaser removes fat with ultrasound.  LipoDissolve kills fat cells with a fat dissolving solution.  BodyJet washes fat out with a high pressure sprayer and suction.  TickleLipo uses swirling canula to mechanically loosen the fat cell and then remove them with suction.  Noninvasive procedures like CoolSculpting and heating devices destroy fat cells through either heat or cold.  There are not good procedures to shape the localized areas of fat without removing or killing the cells.  It is possible to remove the cells from one part of the body and move them to another area where you would like more fat such as the breast, the hands, face and other hollow areas. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon