I Am Spot Bleeding on a Thick Scar After a Face Lift 5 Weeks Ago Should I Worry?

I had a face lift 5 weeks ago I am doing fine no swelling today when I cleaned the scar carefully with a wipe the wipe had blood spots. My right side has a thick scar above my ear and is real red compare to the left side where is thin and not red I bled from the right side should I worry and fly to see my surgeon? Also by the scar being so thick I am thinking he might have to do a scar revision on that side how much time do I need to wait to have that revision done and how much will it cost me?

Spot Bleeding on Thick Scar 5 Weeks after Facelift

+2

I don't think it is necessary for you to fly to your surgeon at this time. This may resolve. Be gentile when cleaning the healing incision. Ask your surgeon if he can refer you to a surgeon in your area. You can also call him and send him pictures; I'm sure he can help you more than members of this panel who have never seen you. Good Luck!

Wait and be patient

+2

Early spot bleeding in incisions and early thick scars will subside  without question with time..Neither is a predictor of a necessary future revision

Bleeding from stitches after Facelift

+2

Even though it has been 5 weeks since your surgery, occasionally you can see blood along the incisions when you are cleaning. Sometimes this can happen if there are some ingrown hair follicles along the incision. Sometimes this can also happen if deeper dissolving stitches were placed underneath the skin to help sew the skin together. When the stitches dissolve, occasionally they can cause a small skin reaction that can lead to a little bleeding and irritation. With good skin care - keeping the area clean and using antibiotic ointment - it should heal well. I would definitely recommend having your surgeon look at the area.

With regard to scar revision, unless something looks out of the ordinary, I would not think about a scar revision until at least 6 months after surgery to allow time for the scar to mature. If the scar is unusually thick, a steroid injection or laser treatments may help.

Pasadena Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar after facelift spotting

+2
If the scar is thicker on one side after your facelift there may some inflammation from suture material used to close the incision. You don't need to rush in though your surgeon might want to see the incision sooner to guide you as to the correct care to set things straight.
Peter Johnson, MD

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/facelift

Bleeding after facelift

+2

Without pictures it is difficult to determine exactly what is happening. It is possible that you may have a suture granuloma creating inflammation, irritation, and bleeding. It is possible that you may have an infection. It is possible that you have hypertrophic scar formation but, again, without a picture it is difficult to say what is going on. Five weeks is way to early to determine whether or not a scar revision will be necessary. Revision surgery will not usually be done for at least 9-12 months following the initial surgery.

I would follow up with an experienced and qualified surgeon whether it be your operating surgeon or a local surgeon to assess the wound. It is possible that it may need something as simple as a steroid injection, or it may need antibiotics and more attention.

There is no substitute for seeing your surgeon.

+2

Laura

Perhaps your surgeon has a trusted colleague where you live that he or she can recommend to it would not be necessary to travel.  I think this situation highlights the value of having surgery close to home if at all possible to make follow up care less of a burden.  I recommend speaking with your surgeon and letting them know what is going on.

Thick scar after facelift.

+2

Photos would help. If you are 5 wks after surgery and you are indeed developing a hypertrophic scar/keloid, this would be the time to see your surgeon so he could injected with a steroid solution too try and decrease this problem.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

5 Weeks after Facelift and Scar Concerns

+1

At 5 weeks following facelift, the scars should continue to improve over the course of a year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Face-and-Neck-Lift.php

Spot-Bleeding after Surgery

+1

It is not uncommon to have spot bleeding after surgery, and this may be from a buried suture knot that is coming close to your skin surface. Just be gentle with cleaning the healing incision. Although it is not necessary to see fly out to see your doctor, keep in contact: email photos and ask him what he recommends. Ask him if he can refer you to any surgeons in your area.

Thick bleeding scar at 5 weeks

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – but based on your description you may have:

• granulation tissue
  • spitting suture
  • early keloid

Ideally you should see your surgeon or at least send him/her photos

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacelift.com/html/incisions.php