Sports Bra or Supportive "Granny" Bra First Week of Augmentation?

I see a lot of conflicting answers regarding what type of bra to wear immediately after breast augmentation. I want to wear a sports bra, but my doctors office says absolutely not & that I must bring my supportive "granny" (playtex) bra with me and continue wearing this for possibly 6 weeks. I assumed the compression of a sports bra would be better, but that doesn't seem to be the opinion of all doctors. So what can I wear and not wear?! Please help!! Thanks!

Bra type after Breast Surgery

+2

In my practice, I provide the post surgical bra to my patients and ask that they wear this bra for 4 weeks and then they can switch to a soft sports bra.  I would ask that you follow the recommendation of your surgeon since he/she knows you best.

Depends on your surgeon

+2

I have my patients go with out a supportive bra for the first 3 weeks so the breast heal in a natural way if needed the can use a sports bra without a wire.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

What bra after breast augmentation

+2

We provide a bra to wear right after breast augmenation with a soft cup and a snug support under though no underwire, and ask that it be worn for two weeks. The bra is OK as far as looks go, certainly not Playtex. After two weeks we find patients can (and will) wear anything or nothing depending on comfort. Avoid buying 'special' bras for several weeks as your breast will change and you may have something you no longer feel your best in.

Bras after surgery

+1

Different surgeons will have different opinions on which, if any, types of patients should wear a bra after breast surgery. Don't forget that there are a lot of different shapes and sizes of breasts and operations to change them. So "one bra doesn't fit all"! It also means that there is not any absolute science to it. That's the "art" of surgery. Go with your own surgeon's recommendations. You chose him/her for a reason.

Ronald Schuster, MD