Is it okay to wear sports bras prodominantly with implants?

I have had my breast implants for 2 1/2 years with no problems. Recently I have been wearing sports bra's more than my regular bra's. I like the way they contain my breast and actually make them appear somewhat smaller. Is this okay?

Support for Breast Implants: Sports bras are ok

Sports bras do provide enough support for breast implants after breast augmentation. They can be too bulky to wear daily but if it works then continue as it does not pose any negatives. More support is probably better than less on an augmented breast secondary to the increased weight.

Dr. Trussler 

5656 Bee Caves Road
Austin, TX 78746

Sports Bra after breast implants

Sports bra offers extra support, great after augmentation.  Even more beneficial after large augmentation because by controlling mobility of implants better, may (theoretically) prevent excess skin stretching in response to pressure from the implants.

Steve Laverson, MD

477 North El Camino Real
Encinitas, CA 92024

Sports bras are great

Absolutely! Sports bras, as long as they fit well, provide great support for your breasts and are recommended. They can help slow the rate of ptosis as well.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Sports Bra's after Breast Augmentation Surgery

Wearing a sports bra is completely fine to continue to wear  for comfort and for aesthetic purposes.  Wearing a sports bra will help with preventing your breast from sagging.  If you do not use the sports bra I would suggest using a bra that gives you adequate support.

J. Gregory Kjar, M.D.
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

1551 Renaissance Towne Drive
Bountiful, UT 84010-7667

Bra type after Breast Surgery

At this point, you may wear any undergarment you like and are comfortable in. Wearing a sports bra predominately should not affect the results of your breast augmentation in any way.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Sports Bra and Breast Augmentation

A sports bra is fine to wear after breast augmentation. At 2 1/2 years out from surgery, you should be able to wear any style of bra you wish. Good Luck

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

2080 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Sportsbra after augmentation

Good support after breast augmentation helps decrease skin laxity and implant malposition.  A sports bra is a good way to provide this support.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

Wearing sports bra exclusively years after breast aug- beneficial

Hi Tina,

I think wearing sports bras exclusively years after your breast augmentation procedure is a great idea! Providing strong- long term support will help minimize damage done to tissue by heavy implants. So, if you can tolerate wearing them - go for it!

Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

14887 Southwest Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77478

Sports bras are ok to wear after breast augmentation

If you prefer a sports bra to a traditional underwire bra, that is perfectly fine. The type of bra you wear is completely up to you, once you've recovered from your surgery. Since it's been two years since your procedure, the bra type is not very important at all.

William Bruno, MD

9201 Sunset Boulevard
West Hollywood, CA 90069

Do Bras Matter After Breast Augmentation?

In the early weeks after breast augmentation a good supportive bra is valuable.  I generally suggest a sports bra that opens in the front.  This keeps down swelling and makes the early phase more comfortable.  After the first month, I recommend avoiding a underwire bra for about six months.  The pressure from the wire can seal off a portion of the pocket before it is well established and can result in malpositioning of the implant.  After six months any type of bra is fine.  Good support is recommended, especially if the overall breast size is large.  Can't go wrong with your choice of a sports bra!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

901 Boren Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104