Could my Spontaneous Pneumothorax Have Been Related to my Silicone Breast Implant Leaking?

Good evening, Two years ago i had a spontaneous pneumothorax, Doctor said it could of been a cough causing it. I have had silicone cohesive implants fitted for 9years now but the last year the right one does not feel so good, just uncomfortable and im so worried that the lung condition was a sign that it had began to leak thoese years ago, is this possible. I mean i have pains in my right lung still occasionly, and the doctor that did my surgery is based in London, im in greece!

Pneumothorax and implants

+2

Spontaneous pneumothorax is most common in very thin people, most often young males.  I have never read of a reported case of pneumothorax  due to implants.  There are few absolute certainties in medicine, but these issues are likely unrelated.

Pneumothorax is not caused by ruptured implant.

+2

I have never read of a relationship to ruptured implants and any type of pneumothorax.  These are likely two completely separate issues.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Leaking Breast Implants Do NOT Cause Spontaneous Lung Deflation (Pneumothorax)

+2

Regarding:  "Could my Spontaneous Pneumothorax Have Been Related to my Silicone Breast Implant Leaking?
Good evening, Two years ago i had a spontaneous pneumothorax, Doctor said it could of been a cough causing it. I have had silicone cohesive implants fitted for 9years now but the last year the right one does not feel so good, just uncomfortable and im so worried that the lung condition was a sign that it had began to leak thoese years ago, is this possible. I mean i have pains in my right lung still occasionly, and the doctor that did my surgery is based in London, im in greece
!"

Pneumothorax is a deflation of the lung resulting in air escaping from inside the lung into the chest cavity causing the lung to collapse. This can only happen if there is a hole in the lung itself. Such a hole can happen due to weak areas of the lung (so called blebs) which can rupture with a lot of pressure (such as a cough) as may be seen in long term smokers (COPD), mine workers or even people who are born this way. (Obviously, a stab or gunshot wound to the chest that perforates the lung will cause this as well). A pneumothorax may be a life threatening event IF the pressure builds up and pushes the airway and great vessels to the side (Tension pneumothorax). The only way to relieve it is by a tube placed through the chest wall (chest tube) allowing the pressure to equalize. To raise the lung the chest tube needs to be placed to suction.

Breast Implants lay on top of the chest . They do not perforate the chest cage much less the lungs and therefore they DO NOT cause pneumothorax.

You need to have your lungs evaluated for blebs. I would consult with a Thoracic surgeon.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Spontaneous pneumothorax and its relation to breast implants

+2

There is no relationship of breast implants being related to pneumothorax.  Weaknesses in the lung, known as blebs is very common and spontaneous rupture of these blebs during excitement,  coughing and even doing nothing is all too common.  Spontaneous pneumothorax is very common in the young  athletic during events.  I would venture to say  on any given Sunday  in a 100,000 seat stadium it occurs once or twice a game.  

Your pain may be due to scaring from the chest tube your treating physician placed following your pneumothorax.  You should consult a thoracic surgeon and have an MRI or CAT scan performed to evaluate this possibility.  I hope this answers your question.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

Silicone Implants Did Not Cause Pneumothorax

+2

There is not a cause/effect relationship between your spontaneous pneumothorax (which usually is caused by rupture of a bleb on the lung) and your silicone implants whether they have rupturde or not.

John Whitt, MD

Pnemothorax and Breast Implants

+1

I am sure your pnemothorax is unrelated to your breast implants. However with the anxiety you express, the only way to assess whether your implants have a leak is to perform an MRI>

Richard Linderman, MD

Spontaneous pneumothorax

+1

I am sorry that you had a spontaneous pneumothorax, but this can happen from almost anything.  It is unrelated to your  implants.

Silicone implant leak not related to spontaneous pheumothorax

+1

There are currently no reported cases of this occurring in the literature.  There are many thick layers separating your implant from your pleural cavity.  Most spontaneous pneumothorax issues are caused by a rupture of a bleb on the ling.  This occurs usually in very thin females.  While anything is possible in medicine and surgery.  This seems very highly unlikely.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Spontaneous pneumothorax and implants

+1

It is not likely that these two are related. If you have questions about a causal relationship, you could obtain an MRI to evaluate the possibility of the implant violating the parietal pleura but this would be very rare.

Spontaneous pneumothorax can occur in someone without breast implants.

+1

I do not believe your spontaneous pneumothorax was caused by a leaking breast implant.  Even men can have spontaneous pneumothorax. Usually it happens in thin patients.  That does not mean that you do not need to pay attention to a problematic breast implant. It just means that the implant was not the likely cause.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon