Spontaneous Lactation After Breast Augmentation?

I had a breast augmentation on June 23rd, so it has been about 4 1/2 weeks ago. As of this morning, I have started lactating when I do my massages. I am not pregnant and my youngest child is 8 years old and I never breastfed. I am wondering why this is happening and if I should continue to do my massages with this lactation going on. It is happening in both of my breasts. I have saline unders and I have been massaging to help my breasts to drop.

Lactation post op breast augmentation due to implant massage

+2

Your lactation is due to the massage exercises post breast augmentation.  Usually the frequency of the exercises is decreased after about 6 weeks and this should help resolve the laction.  I see laction post augmentation once or twice a year in my patients and it always has resolved with decreased frequency of the exercises.  Only if it does not resolve would I recommend getting a prolactin level.  Best wishes.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Lactation after Breast Augmentation

+2

Breast milk is not unsafe for breast implants.  Many women succesfully breast feed their babies after a breast augmentation. I think there is no need to stop your massage of the implants because of the new lactation.  If the milk production persists it would be important to  have your doctor check your prolactin level, a pituitary hormone, to make sure there is not a hormonal cause for the appearance of breast milk long after you have been pregnant or lactating.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Breast Augmentation Causing Lactation

+1

This does happen occasionally to patients. I believe the pressure of the implants can cause the lactation, but this should stop with time. I would address this with your surgeon and he may recommend to decrease the massaging.

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon