What Do if I Spoke with my PS About Being Unhappy with Result and He Offered No Solution?

I chose a size in my pre-op appointment and was advised to choose a "look" that I liked not a size I was told that my PS may put in a larger size implant than chosen to achieve that look that I wanted The "look" I ended up with is significantly smaller than what I wanted When I told my PS I was unhappy his respone was he didnt think it was safe to use a bigger implant This confused me because he used 100cc less than his recommendation based on measurement He offered no solution to my unhappines

Choosing the right implant size

+2

I spend a great deal of time prior to surgery discussing implant size with patients, looking at photos, and using sizers in front of a mirror. I decide before surgery with the patient what size I will be using so there is no confusion later. I often recommend patients go a little larger than what they initially are considering, but ultimately, I let them make the final decision. Of course if they choose a size that I absolutely dont think is right for them, then I wont do the surgery. In your case, what has happened is unfortunate. Without more information and photos, I couldn't tell you if your surgeon has a good point or not. I would suggest getting a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with implants

+2

This is a sad situation, and I am sorry for you.

I am also at a loss to understand this.  It sounds like you had an agreement as to the size before surgery.  OK. I am not privy to the entire conversation, or what happened during the procedure, or any of the decision making processes, but I am intrigued to find out how it might not be safe to put a larger implant in.  100 cc's is about the size of 3 shot glasses.  Hmmmm.

What do I do if I am not happy with my size after Breast Augmentation?

+2

This is a very challenging question to answer without measurements and without knowing the details of your consultation.  Sizing of implants is probably one of the more challenging things associated with the breast augmentation procedure and is affected by a number of variables.  

My suggestion is that you speak with you Plastic Surgeon again and see if he/she has any other options.  If you are not satisfied with the answer, get a second opinion and see what they have to say.  This is not uncommon and may help give you piece of mind.

I hope that helps!

Web reference: http://www.beautybybuford.com/gallery/breast-augmentation

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with results after breast augmentation.

+1

These are difficult situations for all involved. This is why communication and an understanding of the limits of an operation are important. It is clear that you are upset and a bit confused based on the size prediction given in your consultation. Let's flip the argument for a moment - would you rather have had your surgeon do something he/she deemed UNsafe? If you had a complication of a dead nipple or exposed implant, would this be worse than a smaller sized implant with a healthy breast? In situations where the alternative is a true disaster, compromise is key. Unfortunately, it sounds as though the conversation regarding possible outcomes was not very clear. Still, stay positive. Many times, re-augmentation to a larger volume can be done after the breast has accomodated to the current implant. By staging implant sizes (particularly when going to very large implants) the safety of the procedure is enhanced.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Not happy with result

+1

Sorry to hear you were not able to get somewhere with your surgeon. It does happen. I would suggest you get a second opinion on your result from another board certified plastic surgeon and get their advice and go from there. Hopefully a clear path and satisfactory ending will occur.

Web reference: http://www.drrickrosen.com/breast-augmentation-connecticut/

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Primary breast augmentation

+1

In my practice, we spend a lot of time searching for the "right" implant to achieve the "look" you want and what fits your frame best.  That way, except in rare circumstances, we all know what we are putting in before surgery and there are no surprises after.  At this point though, your surgery is done and your best plan is to non-confrontationally talk with your chosen doctor and see what can be worked out.  Going to another doctor will be substantially more costly to you so don't burn the bridge with your current one.

100 cc less Was Used for Breast Augmentation

+1

In a primary augmentation, I typically put in exactly what I talk about with the patient.  In this manner, there is no confusion about size.  I would say that if the plastic surgeon thought the implant was too large for your frame, he or she may have done you a favor.  This is hard to speculate without preop and postop photos and implant sizes.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Unhappy with Result

+1

It would be helpful to have some more info, and some photos from before surgery and of the current situation, and an idea of the pre-op size discussed and the actual size used. The situation would be quite different if say 260 cc was planned and 160 cc inserted, as compared with 700 cc planned, 600 cc inserted. It is neither easy nor fair to offer criticism of the procedure done without sufficient info. 

As to dealing with your surgeon, remember that our goal, like yours, is to achieve a result satisfying to the patient. Approach your surgeon with specific details about your dissatisfaction, and do so in a non-hostile way, and ask what can be done to reach your goal.

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Unhappy with breast implant size

+1

It is usually best for doctor and patient alike to specify a narrow range of breast implants that are to be used in surgery; that typically prevents the issue you are describing.

Of course in surgery there are rare occasions when the surgeon must deviate from the surgical plan for reasons of patient safety or if the result would be compromised.

Hopefully you can work out a solution with your surgeon and he or she has a good explanation why the actual implant differed from the anticipated one.