Did I Split Stitches in my Nose?

Hi i had surgery on my nose to correct my septom & to fix the appearance. Its been 10 days since my surgery & after eating dinner yesterday i started experiencing some pain on the inside of my nose along the bridge area. I looked inside and saw this bump that looks like cartilage or bone sticking out & i was wondering if its possible i split the stitches on the inside? I didn't get a nosebleed just some pain.. and now i'm noticing the tip of my nose is a little crooked.

Split stitches after surgery

+2

Unless you bumped your nose, it's unlikely you split any sutures.  As to the bumps inside your nose, it's impossible to guess what it might be without examining you, but sometimes a little piece of cartilage is placed as a spreader graft to help with breathing - or you may have some sutures that collected some mucous on it.  If you are concerned, I'd recommend you see your surgeon and ask them to double check that everything's ok.  In general it takes several months to see the final result of your rhinoplasty.  But I'm sure your surgeon would be happy to see you and address any concerns you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Rhinoplasty

+1

I am curious why you seem to have posted to this forum first rather seeing your surgeon first. When you paid for the surgeyr you also paid for the aftercare. The real question is why did not contact your surgeon. When you choose your surgeon prior to any surgery some thought should be given to how available the surgeon will be after surgery and how comfortable you will be in calling him/her if a problem arises.

Even if you came to my office and I looked inside your nose I may not know what is going on without reading the operative report to see what was done. Also I have no way of knowing what type of septal deviation you had before surgery. Some types are resistant to correction because cartilage has memory. If you fold your ear over for an hour or 2 it still pops back into its original position because of cartilage memory. That could account for the little bit of crookedness that you see now that the swelling is going down. The bottom line is your surgeon is currently the best person to address your concerns.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD