I've Split my Stretched Ear in Half and Want It Reconnected (photo)

Basically I had a stretched ear and it was fine until I had an accident which tore all the fatty tissue inside of my stretched lobe but I was wondering could it be reconnected then re stretched? I know that would not be recommended but I still like them. Thank you.

Torn earlobe in half after stretching

+1
This happens all the time.  Holes can stretch over time, or are stretched after trauma, (kids pulling on earrings). We repair these holes often under local anesthesia in the office. I would not reccommend re stretching.  Give your local facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon a call.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/otoplasty-ear-reshaping

It is possible to reconnect and then restretch

+1

You have 2 main options.  The cut end can be reattached and then once healed you can try to stretch it out again. This should be done slowly after it heals for at least 6 weeks. Worst case scenario is that it tears again.  Also you can have the ear completely repaired and start from the beginning.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgerysocal.com/Pluggaugeearlobeholerepair.htm

Stretched ear lobe

+1

You have a torn earlobe. This can be reconstructed with a simple office procedure. I do not recommend restretching this repair.

Earlobe repair

+1

Repairing earlobes is a very common procedure.  Most people have them repaired after the hole from piercing has stretched down and turned into a slit, or sometimes, even torn through.  Earlobes can also be repaired after stretching.  Usually, the remaining piece can be reattached and I generally advise leaving it alone for at least 2 months.  I would not recommend stretching it again, as the repaired tissue will be weaker than normal.  You could just place a smaller circle in it to fill it, without stretching it more. 

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repair of torn earlobe

+1

This can be safely corrected under local anesthesia by a board certified plastic surgeon in the office.   I would recommend that you not repierce for 2-3 months to ensure proper healing.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Torn Earlobe Repair

+1

Stretched  and torn earlobes can be reconstructed under local anesthesia by a board certified plastic surgeon. Re-stretching it is only asking for complications and this is not recommended.. It is important to re-approximate the curved earlobe precisely to avoid step off or other visible deformity. Re-piercing is probably best delayed a few months if the new piercing site is that all close to the closed site.

Repair of Stretched Earlobe

+1

Your torn earlobe can certainly be repaired by a board certified plastic surgeon with experience with earlobe repair and reconstruction.   When a stretched earlobe tears, your options include either completely reconstructing the earlobe to remove the stretched tissue OR  revision of the stretched earlobe rim.

Since you definitely want to keep your stretched earlobe, your surgeon will likely need to remove the most thinned and stretched portions of the rim of tissue so that the rim can be repaired using the healthiest, strongest tissue remaining.  This will result in preserving your stretched earlobe, but the hole will be slightly smaller than it was.

At 3 months, you may replace your ear jewelery (but remember that your hole diameter will have decreased a bit).  I have advised that my patients wait at least 6 months before starting to re-stretch the earlobe, and that you stretch slowly and with caution, as your scar will never be quite as strong as the healthy, normal tissue.

Dr. Skourtis

Repair of split earlobe

+1

The earlobe split can be repaired under local anesthesia in the office.  Repeatedly re-stretching it carries a high risk that this problem will occur again, as the scar never reagins more than 85% strength of original skin.

Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Repair of split earlobe

+1

The simple answer to your question is yes. It can be repaired. The repair can be done in office under local anesthesia. Stretching it even after few months from repair carries the risk of re rupture, however.

Repairing Ear Gauge Split

+1

Great question - yes, there is a difference between what is recommended and what it sounds like you prefer... but if you understand the risks and are willing to take them after a full and frank discussion then my answer is "perhaps".

I would recommend initially having your ear lobe repaired to have no piercing or gauge visible. If you wished to re-stretch it after 6-12 months then that would be an acceptable choice providing you understood the potential risks. As you've likely been told, your earlobe would be more likely to split if you try to re-expand it than if you'd not had this injury, and it will be slightly harder to re-stretch because of the existing scar tissue, but this option sounds like it would best suit your personal preferences.

I would not recommend having the bridge of tissue repaired to re-create your existing gauge. Scar tissue is weaker than normal tissue and the likelihood of the repair splitting is extremely high with this approach, even if you wait 6-12 months to re-stretch.

Good luck with whatever approach you pursue and thanks for your question.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon