Split Labia Minora. Will it Regenerate or Should I Get Surgery?

After the birth of my child, I had to get my placenta manually removed. My labia minora (just one side) split in half so now there is 2 on one side. There are no stitches there to keep it together but my doc said it should regenerate itself. How can it do that if they aren't in line with each other? Will I need labia surgery to put it back together?

Split labiaplasty - how to treat

+1

A split labiaplasty will not regenerate on its own unless the degree of splitting is very insignificant.  Like a torn earlobe, surgery is the best way to restore the prior anatomy and shape.  I would look for a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you assess and discuss options with you.  Many of these procedures can be done under local anesthesia.  Good luck.

Repair of labia tear after child birth

+1

HI,

If the labia is actually split in half then it will not regenerate. It heals very quickly and will heal as two separate segments. Fortunately this can easily be repaired under local anesthesia and should be covered by your insurance company since it was trauma sustained during child birth. Please make sure that you consult a specialist who has perfomed this type of procedure on many occasions. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Web reference: http://www.labiaplastysurgery.net

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Repair Of Split Labia Minora

+1

Unfortunately this will not spontaneously mend itself back together.  The good news however is that it can be repaired to almost look like nothing ever happened.  Your next step is to seek consultation with either a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist that specializes in Labiaplasty surgery.  Best of luck...RAS