Spironolactone dosage?

Hi, i used to take spiro for my acne. It completely cleared my skin with 100 mg daily, i stopped for a while and started again, but the results are not like before.I could see difference after 3 weeks but now, after 7 weeks, no change. As i see it, there are 2 changes from the previous time:1) i lost weight,i was 5'4" 55 kg (121 lbs) and now i am 46(102) 2) This time i didn't start low but jumped directly to 100 mg. Could one of these be the cause? Or i could be resistant and need more? Thanks..

Spironolactone Dose for Acne

+2

Hi Maria,

First of all, it is important that you visit your dermatologist for management of spironolactone. Although it is a safe and commonly used medication for acne, they may want to check labs or adjust the dose based on your weight loss. Most women with hormonal acne see great improvement with spironolactone doses ranging between 25-100mg daily. However, it usually takes approximately 3 months for the full improvement of the medication to be seen. It may be that you have not been taking the medication long enough at this point, or it may be that your dermatologist feels you need a different treatment at this time. Thankfully, resistance to spironolactone does not develop!

Good luck!