I Have Spinabifida Will I Be Denied a Tummy Tuck?

I am 5ft. 4inch. and weigh 240lbs. I cannot exorcise due to my weight and my back. But my helth depends on it. I have tried diets and working out with a personal trainer, however he just kept trying to get me to lift weight (which is teally bad for my back). I walk as muvh as possible abd swim a lot. I want to get lipo and a tummy tuck. Am I a candidate? Thank you for your time, Isabel

+1

Dear Isabel,

Thank you for your post.  Spinabifida, is not a contraindication to abdominoplasty.  However, abdominoplasty is best for someone who has lost weight and is wanting to take out excess skin and hanging fat.  You may or may not be a good candidate for the procedure based on your body.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

Spina bifida is not a contraindications to a tummy tuck. The more important issue is your weight. Many surgeons will want you to lose considerable weight before having a tummy tuck done. Go on a few consults and find out. The spina bifida does not exclude you as a candidate.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Spina bifida does not preclude you from having a tummy tuck...

+1

but any ethical surgeon will not do it simply to remove the weight off of you.  As mentioned by others, you should focus your energies on finding a weight loss program that works for you.  If you have excess skin once you have achieved a stable weight, then consider a tummy tuck.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy Tuck with Spina Bifida

+1

Thanks for your question. It is important to realize that a tummy tuck is not a weight loss procedure. If diet/exercise is problematic because of your spinal issues, you may be a candidate for bariatric surgery to help with your weight. Your primary care physician will be a good resource to assist you in making this determination. Good luck!

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Spina bifida and tummy tuck

+1

Spina bifida should not prevent you from having a tummy tuck. However, a tummy tuck and/or liposuction is not a way to lose weight. First you need to lose the weight and then if you have excess skin, a tummy tuck would be appropriate. Talk with your doctor about a weight loss program that will work for you. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

+1

Isabel--Spina bifida would not disqualify you for a TT. The real issue is the weight. There is an enormous increase in risks with body-mass index above 30, and I calculate yours at over 40.  This is a guideline, not a "law."  Best bet is to call and set up an appointment near where you live. Calling in advance with height and weight info will help avoid some automatic "no" answers and save you time.

All the best. 

+1

Thank you for your question. I am not sure that spina bifida would prevent you from having a Tummy tuck. However in our office at your height we would not want to do either liposuction or a tummy tuck until your weight was under 170#, that is a BMI of 30. It sounds like you would benefit from a medically supervised weight loss program. Lifting weights is definitely not going to get you to that desired weight goal. You need a combination of aerobic exercise and strict caloric reduction. It is likely you may even want to get a consult for bariatric surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD