Remove Spider Veins with Insulin Syringes and Saline Solution?

Can I remove my spider veins myself with insulin syringes and saline solution?

Saline sclerotherapy

You should never treat yourself.

You are confusing 0.9% sodium chloride (saline) with hypertonic saline (approximately 21%) for sclerotherapy. If this solution infiltrates in the skin, it will cause skin necrosis. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

5225 Sheridan Drive
Williamsville, NY 14221

Saline injections for spider veins

Noooooo! Not only would you be exposing your body to potential infection as well as to dangers inherent in using non medical-grade saline (an endless array of potential impurities and concentration disparities), but, you'd also be performing an ineffective technique.

Unless the deeper, reticular network of veins supplying the spider veins are treated at the same time, the spider veins will likely recur over time. Furthermore, if one or more of the valves within the deep veins is incompetent, this problem must be fixed before any lasting results from spider vein treatments can be achieved.

Finally, (hypertonic) saline injections are painful. There are better options for sclerotherapy solutions (i.e. foam preparations of sodium tetradecyl sulfate and/or polidocanol) that are not only significantly less painful, but, also are just as - if not more - effective than hypertonic saline.

On a side note, despite the popularity in the past of using hypertonic saline as the solution ("sclerosant") in sclerotherapy, it is actually not FDA-approved for this purpose. Both sodium tetradecyl sulfate and polidocanol are FDA-approved for this indication.

Monika Kiripolsky, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

9735 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Funny question

The saline used for sclerotherapy is much more concentrated, than normal saline. Most physicians who inject with saline vary the concentration between 12-23.9% depending on the size of the blood vessel. The saline you are thinking of has a concentration of 0.9%. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

5320 Providence Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23464

Spider vein removal using insulin syringe and saline solution won't work

The solutions used in the injections are not the same as the saline to which you have access. You can try, but it won't work.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

630 South Glassell
Orange, CA 92866