Spider Vein Treatment Ineffective?

I had my first laser treatment (Iridex laser) on my legs for spider veins yesterday. I see absolutely no change in any of the veins, not even the tiny ones. Some areas of skin are still a bit irritated, but all of the veins seem to be just as squiggly and red as always. I thought that at least some of the effects of the treatment were supposed to be apparent immediately. Did I waste my time and money?

Spider Vein Treatment Results

+1

Thank you for your question. Usually if there is no change by 7 days, then you will need further treatments.  This is usually a 4-5 treatment process, every 4-6 weeks.  When the vein closes, there is a light brown stain around the vein if larger than 1mm, and this subsides in 4-6 weeks. Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist, vascular surgeon, or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser procedures for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Spider vein treatments

+1

When treating spider veins, regardless of the treatment method, several treatments may be required and the results may not be completely visible for 4-6 weeks after each treatment. That said, despite the various lasers on the market for spider veins, sclerotherapy (injection by needle) is still considered the Gold Standard treatment and pain-wise is quite similar.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for spider veins

+1

The best and gold standard treatment for most leg veins is sclerotherapy (tiny injections of medicine into the veins).  Laser typically hurts more and does not work as well.  If the person who treated you does not offer sclerotherapy, you should see someone else who is skilled in sclerotherapy.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon