Is There a Special Diet During for Breast Augmentation?

What foods are recommended? Is there a need for extra water intake? Are there foods that should not be eaten during recovery?

Is there a special diet for bresat augmentation?

+2

There is no special diet that will give you a better result or aid in healing after breast augmentation.  You would need to avoid medications, foods, and herbal remedies that may cause blood "thinning" such as aspirin, ibuprofen, garlic extract, niacin, vitamin E, fish oil, etc. A multivitamin is OK.  Your surgeon will usually give you a list of what to avoid, including certain herbal medications that may cause heart arrythmias or other problems with anesthesia.  I usually review the medications that my patient is taking to make sure there are no "offending" items, and also ask them to refrain from taking dietary supplements, herbal preparations, and naturopathic remedies for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery.  As mentioned, drink pleny of fluids after surgery, and consider a stool softener while on pain medications, since they typically cause constipation, and consider using a laxative if the stool softener is not working after a few days. 

Diet for breast augmentation

+1

Before having surgery, you should be well nourished.  Anyone who is HWP with a varied diet is likely well nourished.  If you are a vegan, you could be anemic.  I've see several anemic vegans in my Seattle practice.

You should avoid any "supplements" or medications that could affect anesthesia or blood clotting.  Your surgeon should be able to supply you with a list. 

Post-operatively, avoid excess salt because it will make you retain more fluid than necessary.  And be sure to eat lots of fiber to avoid dreaded postoperative constipation.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Diet with breast augmentation

+1

Adequate well balanced diet is important for your healing.  Avoid alcohol with narcotics and certain herbs that may enhance bleeding.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Breast Augmentation Does Not Require Special Diet

+1

There is no need for a special diet following breast augmentation surgery.  You should, as with any surgical procedure, be in good health, avoid smoking, and consume an adequate amount of protein which is necessary for wound healing.

John Whitt, MD

Is there a good diet for breast augmentation?

+1
If you are well nourished and in good general health, there is no need for a special diet. I only recommend to patients to stop all nutritional supplements including omega 3 containing fish oils and excess garlic because some of these supplements could thin their blood and cause bleeding. Bleeding is one of the most frequent eary post operative complications of breast augmentation.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

A "special" diet is not part of a breast augmentation.

+1

Breast augmentation is a simple procedure that is physiologically pretty easy on the patient.  Diets of any kind will not influence the outcome of the operation.  So eat on.

Proper diet for surgical recovery

+1

There is no specific diet required but lots of good protein, vegetables, low salt foods would be good.  Get plenty of rest, take as little pain medication as possible to minimize constipation, and take anit-constipation products like Miralax and Metamucil.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Special Diets

+1

There isn't a special diet that we recommend after a breast augmentation. The only thing that I would suggest is to drink plenty of water and stay away from salty foods. Salt can make your body swell when consumed in large amounts. The only thing that I tell my patients is to not take birth control medications, diet medications or vitamins that contain blood thinning agents. We ask that you stop taking these 2 weeks before surgery and a month after surgery.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Special Diet is required for Breast Augmentation

+1

You do NOT need to eat a special diet in preparation for a Breast Augmentation with the exception of temporarily avoiding certain foods and supplements which prolong our bleeding time. Although such foods a very healthy because they lower the rates of stroke and heart attacks they are associated with more bleeding during and after surgery and are best avoided for 3 weeks before surgery. Otherwise a balanced diet with a lean sourced of proteins would be perfect.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea