SMAS Very Effective/somewhat Effective/mostly Ineffective for Cheek Rejuvination?

One of the Manhattan surgeon contributors to this site said that "The SMAS lift helps the upper cheek area more than anything else." I thought that one of the limitations of the SMAS (as opposed to deep plane or mid face) was that it DID NOT significantly impact the cheek area. Whazzzup?

SMAS lift for cheek augmentation

+1

Different surgeons will offer different opinions.  Always.  But there are variations to the SMAS lift that can be used effectively in people who are choosing to have a lift and also desire cheek augmentation.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

SMAS effect on cheek

+1

A SMAS lift typically refers to a type of facelift that primarily addresses the neck and the lower part of the face.  In most cases, this type of procedure would not have much effect on the cheek area.  Some surgeons may use variations of a SMAS lift that could help with the cheek.  And I would agree that there are other options to help with the cheek, including the use of fillers and implants.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical Cheek Augmentation Can Be An Excellent Alternative To Surgery

+1

I would like to take one step back from to SMAS or not SMAS and take a moment to emphasize that nowadays there are completely nonsurgical ways to enhance and improve the cheeks--techniques that require no scalpels, sutures or prolonged healing downtimes and take only minutes to perform. 

Nonsurgical cheek augmentation with volumizing fillers, either alone or in combination with a Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Crow's Feet Lift, is a rapid and excellent way to improve the upper mid face region without the need for invasive surgery and significant downtime. In most cases, the procedure may be completed in no more than twenty minutes with immediate return to work or social activities. Nonsurgical augmentation with volumizing fillers has the additional benefit of being able to modified in accordance with age-related changes in the area.

A good way to determine whether someone might benefit from nonsurgically revolumizing the cheeks and the mid-face region is to ask them to smile. If the smile lifts the fallen tissue back into place and rounds the contours of the cheeks making them appear more youthful, it is a good indication that nonsurgically volumizing the above regions with injectable volumizing agents, would yield immediate, durable, and gratifying results.

For nonsurgically augmenting cheeks, I prefer to use Radiesse or Radiesse combined with Perlane L. I rely on these agents for these purposes in my Upper East Side New York City practice. In Israel, where I have a satellite office and where a far greater number of more robust volumizing fillers are available, I prefer to use Juvederm Voluma or Stylage XXL, either alone or in combination with Radiesse or Restylane SubQ..

Nelson Lee Novick, MD