Spanx/support Wear After Thermage for Legs and Buttocks?

After I had thermage done on my buttocks and the back/sides of my upper-thighs, I was told to try to wear Spanx for 3 weeks, but if I didn't want to wear it to certain places/events, that would be ok. I was just curious, what purpose does this serve, and how important is it? Thank you in advance!

Spanx to Boost Thermage Effects - Useful?

+1

That's an interesting consideration. I've not heard of the recommendation before and have no knowledge of compression making any difference. But if the potential exists for a little extra effect, why not give it a try? Unless the support hose or Spanx are too restrictive, it could have a benefit (note "could").

Generally compression garments are used following liposuction to help the healing process culminate in a smoother result.

For decades women used to wear chin straps to bed with the idea that it would keep a firmer chin and jawline. Did it really help? Only the user could provide an opinion.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Wearing Spanx after Thermage

+1

There have not been any studies showing that the use of Spanx would improve the results of Thermage. The idea may be to protect neocollagen and elastin being formed in a tighter matrix in the skin. It wouldn't hurt trying. Spanx would be to your buttocks and thighs what a bra is to the breasts. Wearing a bra everyday helps prevent some stretching and damage gravity would cause in the long term. Unfortunately, wearing a bra doesn't completely prevent skin slackening. let us know how it works for you. Good luck!

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Spanx should not interfere with your Thermage Treatment

+1

The Thermage company (Solta Medical) sees no benefit to wearing Spanx after Thermage treatment.  While theoretcally Spanx might help compress certain areas, Thermage works through heating the deeper layers of the skin and I can find no medical reason why they were recommeneded to you.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.