Am I At The Right Weight For a Full TT, Breast Lift, and Medial Thigh Lift? (photo)

I am 50 years old, lost 80 pounds over several years through low-carb, and have been 15 pounds shy of "normal" BMI for over 6 months now (155 pounds at 5'3"). Looking at my pics, though, I sure don't feel like I'm anywhere close to normal and wonder if this is "close enough" for good results. I'm looking for less abdomen, less saggy inner thighs, and "shorter" breasts (not bigger, no implants). Is my wish list of procedures appropriate for me at this time or is more weight loss necessary?

"Ideal" Weight for surgery

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss.    As long as your weight loss has stabilized for at least six months and you are not losing any more weight actively, then I think you are OK to proceed with your contouring procedures.   Best of luck!

Wurgery after weight loss

+2

Congratulations on losing all that weight.  You more than likely could benefit from procedures to correct the sagging skin and these can be staged so that it limits the risk of doing too many surgeries at once. I think the first thing you need to do is go for a consultation to be evaluated.

Don't starve yourself to have surgery

+2

Hi there-

A few thoughts:

• The best weight for surgery is the weight at which your body settles while living the lifestyle you believe you can maintain over the long term.
  • I would not have a thigh lift at the same time as a tummy tuck- risks higher and recovery difficult
  • You may be better off with a lower body lift

Your best bet is to find a surgeon you like and feel you can trust and visit them for a consultation.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

The right weight for tummy tuck

+2

The right weight for tummy tuck is the best weight that you can be. If you wish to lose 15 pounds more this is the time to do it. Of course you are a good candidate for tummy tuck now, but the result might be better if you see it through and lose the rest of the weight.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

+2

Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like you are good to go! But over the internet very hard to be accurate. 

Timing of a Body Lift

+2

Dear Looking4change,

Congratulations on your weight loss and the success you have had keeping it off.  The frustration you express about not seeing the results you want in a mirror are common after massive weight loss as the skin and soft tissues often cannot retract or shrink to match the weight change.

From your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for a body lift which will tighten both the abdomen and the lower trunk/back and also a breast lift and medial thigh lift.  However, the only way to truly determine this is to have a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who does this type of surgery.  If you are healthy and cleared for surgery by your primary care doctor, then you should do well.

Regarding the timing of the procedures, I would suggest separating the procedures into two stages:  first performing the breast lift and body lift procedures and then at a later date, performing the thigh lift.  In my practice, I find the combination of a body lift and medial thigh lift slows the recovery which increases the risks of complications.

I hope this helps and best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgical Procedures after Weight Loss?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on your significant weight loss;  you should be very proud of this accomplishment.

Although I think you may be an ideal candidate for the planned procedures, only you will know  if 155 pounds is where you would like to be long-term.  If you are planning on losing additional weight it is best to do so prior to surgery.

Again, I think your “wish list” is very appropriate;  I would suggest that you plan on having these procedures done in two separate stages. 

Also, it would be helpful for you to be evaluated by your family practitioner/internist (with a full history, physical examination, EKG and laboratory workup)  prior to surgery.

Tummy Tuck

+2

You are near your ideal body weight. The pictures posted seems to you will benifit mostly from abdominoplasty, liposuction of the abdomen, and flanks and back. Then aat a second surgery will do the breast lift.

Leave the thigh lift to the end

Do not do tummy tuck and thigh lift together. There are increased risks.

+2

Hi.

Your weight looks fine for surgery, but I would recommend doing the thigh lift as a second separate procedure.  Otherwise, there is a higher risk of a blood clot, which can be very serious.  Just do the tummy tuck and the breast lift together.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Body lift and breast surgery staging?

+1

Great job!! I would wait for 6 months of weight stability before you have surgical procedures. Unfortunately there is no effective non-surgical method.  However, a body lift can truly change your life. Excess abdominal fat  and skin is removed, the abdomen and your core is tightened, your hips are raised and defined and your buttock has new definition and shape.  The combination is powerful and the results are immediate. I would do the body lift first, then stage procedures every 4-6 months. Healing time is 2-4 weeks. Any breast surgery would be better staged because of the safety of being under anesthesia for a long time.The most important thing is safety. Please don't compromise on this! See a board certified plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD