What Is The Minimum Age For Laser Eye Surgery?

i'm 17 and i'm thinking about laser eye surgery, because i'm wearing glasses since i was alomost 12 y/o. My num is - 2.50 and -2.75 the other eye. i have tried once the eye lenses but they suit me. And my eyesight is weak of far. kindly tell me my laser eye surgery is possible or not ? What´s the min age for it ? And also that almost how much it will cost in euros ? , bcoz i'm a foreigner and living in europe and have no idea about it. i'll be very thankful to u if u will answer to me."

The Minimum Age For Lasik or PRK

+1

The FDA requires surgeons to wait until age 18 before performing Laser Vision Correction(Lasik or PRK). It is OK for you to begin to research the procedure and even get a consultation to begin to get an idea of when your eyes will be stable for treatment. I would think you will be well stabilized before you are 21. Good luck!!

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Laser eye surgery minimum age

+1

I do not perform laser surgery on patients younger than 21 years of age, although some more aggressive are willing to operate on 18 year olds.  Your prescription appears to be very much in the treatable range as long as you have no other risk factors.  LASIK in the US costs between $4000 and $5000 which is roughly €3000 to €4000.

Michael K. Tracy, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

Usually not before 18

+1

You want to wait until your refractive error is stable (not increasing), which is usually around age 18 but might not be until 21 or so.  This is "cosmetic" surgery so it is usually inappropriate for parents to be responsible for their child having potential complications.  In special circumstances (high refractive asymmetry or high refractive error in children with severe developmental problems precluding glasses use), LASIK may be appropriately considered in younger age groups.

Benjamin Ticho, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist

Lowest age for laser eye surgery

+1

Photorefractive Keratectomy was FDA approved in the US for anyone 18 years of age or older.  So, all you need to wait is one more year.  Average cost in the US ranges between $1500 to $2500 per eye.

Craig F. Beyer, DO
Boulder Ophthalmologist

Minimum age for laser eye surgery

+1

For legal and physical reasons, them minimum age is usually 18 years old.  This is when the prescription is usually stable for prescriptions like yours.  

Steven Dell, MD
Austin Ophthalmologist