Soybean Oil Safe for Buttock Augmentation?

I have heard about girls getting soybean oil injected into their buttocks to increase size. Is this safe?

Do not have anything other than fat injected into your buttocks

Your health and safety is my first concern.  I see so many patients each month begging me to correct the deformities created when substances other than their own fat were injected into their buttocks.  These women are frequently permanently scarred and many have suffered from devastating and sometimes life-threatening infections as a result.  I usually cannot help them.  Soybean oil has no business in your butt.  Please consider fat transfer or butt implants performed by a board certified plastic surgeon instead.  These are the only FDA-approved methods of buttock enlargement.

Soybean oil is not FDA approved for gluteal augmentation in US

Currently, there are only two ways to augment the gluteal area in the US, and that is with fat transfer( Brazilian butt lift) or gluteal augmentation with silicone implants.  These are the only FDA approved methods and are considered the standard of care in the US.  Any other methods are not only illegal to perform, but can pose permanent and significant complications.  Please do your homework and remember that the consequences can last for a lifetime! good luck to you!

Soybean oil injections are never recommended

No, no, and no.

In general both methods of buttock augmentation that are more commonly done also carry significant risks so be careful to discuss this with any doctor you talk to.

C. Dennis Bucko, MD

Buttock Augmentation with Soybean Oil

Not a good idea!

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere.   There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak).  Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs causing serious problems breathing. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred.  This can also happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids (and soybean oil!). Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflamation and subsequent scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice).  I prefer to insert the implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks).  The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure.  And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%.  Hope this helps…RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD