After Open Rhinoplasty, is There a Way to Know (Before 6-12 Mos), What is Swelling on the Bridge & Radix & What is the New Nose?

I 'm at the 6 wk. post-op mark for an open rhinoplasty and I'm concerned that not enough was taken down on the bridge.The plan was to address the "high" radix that I had and it almost looks higher to me than before? Bones were not broken, only rasping to take down a bump and flatten the radix.I haven't spoken with my surgeon yet since the 1 month follow up is next week.I know that patience is important here, but I was wondering if there was a way to find out if it is just swelling?

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

After 6 weeks, you will still have a considerable amount of swelling. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. It can take up to 18-24 months for the final result to be evident. It is too soon to judge the end result, and speaking with your surgeon at your follow up appointment is a good next step. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

+1

This early after rhinoplasty, it is premature to be concerned about the final result.   The swelling is going to be very prominent at this early stage.  I would follow with your surgeon.   This may take the full year or more to resolve.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Kenneth Hughes, MD

Rhinoplasty results

+1

You are still very early in the post operative recovery phase.  It will take another 6 months before you can begin to evaluate your result.  

I don't think so

+1

Thanks for posting a good picture! From your description of the surgery, I think your nose looks very good for one month postop. As I'm sure you have been told, rhinoplasty results do not assume a stable configuration for about a year.

Looks like you had a good surgeon who did not try to do too much.

Try to be a patient patient. I know it is difficult.

Good luck!

Barry Press, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon