After Open Rhinoplasty, is There a Way to Know (Before 6-12 Mos), What is Swelling on the Bridge & Radix & What is the New Nose?

I 'm at the 6 wk. post-op mark for an open rhinoplasty and I'm concerned that not enough was taken down on the bridge.The plan was to address the "high" radix that I had and it almost looks higher to me than before? Bones were not broken, only rasping to take down a bump and flatten the radix.I haven't spoken with my surgeon yet since the 1 month follow up is next week.I know that patience is important here, but I was wondering if there was a way to find out if it is just swelling?

Swelling after rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

After 6 weeks, you will still have a considerable amount of swelling. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. It can take up to 18-24 months for the final result to be evident. It is too soon to judge the end result, and speaking with your surgeon at your follow up appointment is a good next step. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

This early after rhinoplasty, it is premature to be concerned about the final result.   The swelling is going to be very prominent at this early stage.  I would follow with your surgeon.   This may take the full year or more to resolve.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Kenneth Hughes, MD

Rhinoplasty results

You are still very early in the post operative recovery phase.  It will take another 6 months before you can begin to evaluate your result.  

I don't think so

Thanks for posting a good picture! From your description of the surgery, I think your nose looks very good for one month postop. As I'm sure you have been told, rhinoplasty results do not assume a stable configuration for about a year.

Looks like you had a good surgeon who did not try to do too much.

Try to be a patient patient. I know it is difficult.

Good luck!

Barry Press, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon