Does a Lot More Exercise Help Recovery Time, After a Mommy Makeover (Tummy Tuck & Breast Reduction)? (photo)

Hi. Will doing even more workouts help in the recovery process later, even if I'm not losing much weight by doing it & getting minimal toning? I've heard that people that are more fit have easier & shorter recovery periods,but my father had his knees replaced, & his recovery was longer because he'd worked out to lose 175lbs, before he did it. He was told he'd have healed faster, heavier, since fat would repair faster, than the strong muscle he'd developed working out. Thanks for any advice/help.

Being physically fit usually aging convalescence after any operation.

+2

Patients in exercise and are fit generally do better after an operation. Some of it is physiologic and some psychologic.

Preparing for Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+2

I have found, that the more medically, physically, emotionally, socially, spiritually “fit” patients are prior to proceeding with surgery, the better their recovery.  You will be much better off getting closer to a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with any type of elective surgery. Depending on your specific situation, consider consultation with your internist, bariatric surgery group, personal trainers and/or nutritionists, prior to planning plastic surgical procedures. 

Getting closer to your long term stable weight prior to proceeding with surgery will improve the safety and outcome of the procedures performed.

I have also attached some postoperative “advice” I provide to my patients undergoing mommy makeover surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Does a Lot More Exercise Help Recovery Time, After a Mommy Makeover (Tummy Tuck & Breast Reduction)?

+2

Just there opposite concept. Better at lower weights LESS fat. So based upon the posted photo you NEED to loss 40 pounds at a minimum before having such a involve long operation. At the present weight your complication rate is higher. 

Health and healing

+2

The better the odies condition the better the healing,

If yuo think that surgery is goiong to place a demand on yuor body much like a big workout.  the better yuor health and fitness level the faster the recovery.

For this reason good diet and exercise prior to surgery prime the body for a good recovery

JeremyHunt 

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Physical conditioning prior to surgery

+2

The better physical condition that your are in the better the recovery.  If you have any medical conditions these should be addressed prior to planning an extensive cosmetic surgical procedure such as a mommy makeover.  

Working out prior to a mommy makeover

+1
Being in your best possible physical condition and as close as possible to your ideal weight will definitely mean the best possible result from a mommy makeover procedure. remember, a tummy tuck is not a weight loss procedure, but a body contouring procedure. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon