How Long After a Tummy Tuck Can I Go Swimming?

Exercise after tummy tuck

+2

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 4 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients do notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest. Exercise itself will not help reduce this swelling.  If swelling manifests during your workout routine, you may benefit from use of compression garments.   But please check with your surgeon with respect to his/her specific recommendations.  Enjoy your results!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Swimming after tummy tuck

+2

You should follow your plastic surgeon's postop regimen.  Each of us has a different approach. However, I advise my patients to refrain from swimming for at least 6 weeks.  Swimming pools, despite chemicals, are notorious places to pick up infections!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

When to go swimming after an abdominoplasty

+2

When you can go swimming in the ocean, community pool or lake is from 4 - 6 weeks.  This can vary depending upon how your incison is healing. 

Swimming after tt

+2

Most surgeons differ on timing of return to exercise after tt or any other surgery for that matter. Every surgeon will think he/she knows best! I am delighted to inform you that everyone else is wrong and obviously I am right!! Ha! I generally advise my tt patients to avoid such exercise of sustained emersion in a pool or a tub until 6 weeks postop. I do advise showers from day 1 postop!

Sultan Hassan, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

When Can You Swim after Tummy Tuck?

+2

This answer is really up to your plastic surgeon and his/her recommendations. In my experience, every plastic surgeon has their own post operative ideas about what limitations should be after surgery. Even my partner and I have differing opinions about this and we work in the same office! I let my patients shower 2 days after surgery, get into a pool or bath after the drains are out, and they can actively swim 6-8 weeks after surgery. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after tummy tuck

+2

You should ask your plastic surgeon's preference and clearance on this.  You may be allowed to submerge your body under water after 3 weeks; but you should not be swimming for about 6 weeks postop. Make sure that your plastic surgeon examines you prior to swimming.

Sugene Kim, MD

Activity after tummy tuck

+2

It depends on whether your incisions healed well and on time and also whether or not you had repair of any diasthesis (muscle tightening).  You can be in the water as early as 3 weeks and swimming with exertion at 6 weeks.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

After about a month

+1
I generally advise patients avoid submerging themselves in water for at least 1 month after their surgery. However, please ask your surgeon as they may have different advice.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swimming and tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In general, your incisions need to be perfect, all drains removed and the drain site healed perfect, and the muscle repair needs to be mature with no areas of fluid collection. If the incisions are not perfect, or drain site, then you are at risk of infection in pools, hot tubs, oceans/lakes. You don't have to have perfect incisions to shower, just not submerge in bath or the above. However, I ask my patients to wear their abdominal binder non-stop, except for showers, for at least 4 weeks, so unless you want to hang out at the beach with your binder, then no beach.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after tummy tuck

+1

You will get many different answers from many different surgeons and we are all probably right! Once your incisions are healed over, it is probably safe to get in a swimming pool or other clean water. I would definitely wait 4-6 weeks for the lake or ocean though. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon