I Have Asymmetrical Breast, Do I Need to Get Them Corrected in Order to Get BA? (photo)

Hello, I am in need of some answer to my question as I am tad bit nervous. I am 5'5 and 118 lbs. I went to my consultation 3 weeks ago and I knew what going to be expected so I thought, my surgeon suggested subpectoral breast aumentation and he also suggested left crescent mostopexy(exuse my typos to the medical terms).So my question is it really a must to have the crescent mostopexy with the photos I provided? Tomorrow is apt to pay up and get set date for breast augmentation.

Breast Augmentation and Circumareolar Lift

+1

Breast augmentation with Circumareolar lift would be my advice.  In general the crescent will elongate the nipple areola complex over time even if it looks good initially, and it does not really lift the areola.  The circumareolar lift can lift the areola a max of about 2 cm.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughes breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Aug and lift

+1

I agree with your surgeon. Bilateral subpectoral augmentation and probably a crescent lift especially on the left side.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Mild degrees of asymmetry are common. Crescent mastopexies can distort the areola.

+1

Yes, you have asymmetry with the left nipple lower than the right.  But asymmetry is very common and natural.  The negative of a crescent mastopexy is that it introduces a conspicous scar and tends to distort the shape of the areola (also I avoid operating on one side because it is impossible to match the natural unoperated areolar border; if I do a lift, I almost always do it on both sides).  By the way, your nipple size could be reduced if you liked.  Sometimes too much of a good thing can be embarrassing for women.  You can certainly just have implants alone and forgo the crescent mastopexy, accepting your natural asymmetry in nipple position.  I've attached a link to my website in case you want to read more.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry and augmentation

+1

Breast enhancement will typically enhance all of the features of ones breasts. If you have some asymmetry before, you'll have it after and it may be more noticeable.  You can lessen this to some extent by placing larger implants, however, with your small size, that is a questionable choice.

I would agree with your surgeon that a procedure  to bring the left breast into balance with the right side would give you the best chance for a symmetrical result.  

Douglas Hargrave, M.D.

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

+1

I think the advice given by the other surgeons is good advice.  I would like to present you with another option, though one that will require two surgeries.  You could go ahead and have the implants put in, then evaluate your breast shape and nipple position in three to six months.  If you are happy with the result, you don't need to do anything further.  If the asymmetry is significant enough to bother you, a breast lift can then be done.  The benefit to this approach is that you will get to see what your breast shape after augmentation looks like before deciding on the lift.  In addition, staging the procedure will usually make the lift easier to do since the breast shape has already stabilized from the augmentation procedure.

Donald Griffin, MD

Do I need a breast lift to correct my breast asymmetry?

+1

You, indeed, have breast asymmtery which is not uncommon. You will need a breast lift in order to make the breasts as similar as possible. without the lift there will remain significant asymmetry. If you still have questions and/concerns then you should request another consultation with your surgeon before you pay. You need to be as well as informed and comfortable with your decision as well as your  surgeon as possible. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Asymmetry

+1

I wold probably recommend doing some sort of lift on the sroopier side. There will still probably be some asymmetry, but it wold be lessened. The scar(s) wold also be different on the lifted side.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1

As you have heard from multiple surgeons, this is a tricky situation and requires an experienced breast surgeon.  Be sure to do your homework and get several opinions from local Board Certified plastic surgeons.  Be thorough: review patient photos, ask a million questions, check their experience, and take your time.  Keep in mind that perfect symmetry is not possible.  Your breasts can be made much better and this is a surgery well worth pursuing.  Best of luck to you. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with augmentation

+1

I would at least have you prepared to have the lift if the implant placement does not take up the available extra skin.  I too am not a big fan of the crescent lift but I haven't examined you in person.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

Slight breast asymmetry is well camouflaged by a breast augmentation.

+1

The breast pictured show slight asymmetry of shape with pseudoptosis (the breast look droopy but the areolae are above the inframmary fold).  Breast augmentation would restore the lost volume and give the breasts the appearance of having a "lift".