Likely Results for Upper Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

I am wondering if someone could tell me by looking at my photo, what sort of result I may expect from my upper eyelid surgery? Thank you for your time

Likely Results for Upper Eyelid Surgery?

+2

Your likely result will be a highly satisfied patient with removal of the skin that is giving your upper lids the heavy look.  I would not adjust your brow position surgically.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of eyelid surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Results from Upper Eyelid Surgery

+2

Upper eyelid blepharoplasty is best performed when excess eyelid skin is present with a normal eyebrow position.  This appears to be the case for you.  In this situation a small amount of skin, muscle and occasionally fat is removed from the upper eyelids revealing more of the tarsal plate, or the skin immediately above the lash line.  This will allow eyeshadow to be applied more easily and also more visible.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid??

+2

I've been doing nothing but facial aesthetic surgery since 1988. That's a lot of patients who have come if for the very reason you considered facial plastic surgery. In my experience the majority of patients that complain of a tired look to their upper lids it is due to inferior to medial migration of the brow into the upper eyelid area. In these patients an endoscopic browlift gives the best result. Over the years I have developed a sequential approach to browlift surgery and will, in general, do one of three different lifts depending on the preoperative anatomy of the forehead. A lateral brow lift is done for patients with heaviness of the lateral brow but a normal medial brow. A 3/4 brow lift is done for patients with a heavy lateral brow and a pinched look to the medial head of the brow. A full brow lift is performed for patients who have a heavy lateral brow, pinching of the medial head of the brow and inferior migration of the medial head of the brow. This approach yields a natural appearance to the post operative patient without that surprised look.
For the less common patient who has brows that are in the correct position and yet has excess skin and muscle in the upper eyelid area, an upper lid blepharoplasty with supratarsal fixation is all they need. Should they in addition have lowering of the upper eyelid over the cornea then they may need ptosis surgery. I would recommend visiting an eye doctor should you feel this is the case for you.
Should you have a combination brow ptosis or sagging and excess upper eyelid skin, do yourself a favor and get the brows done first and the eyelids done 3-6 months afterward. That is the approach I take and the majority of patients that I see get the brows done and are happy, they leave the upper lid alone. More is not always better. For those who decide to proceed with an upper lid bleph afterwards, I can be more precise doing it secondarily.
See a plastic surgeon that specializes in facial aesthetic surgery, get two to three opinions and go with the one you feel most comfortable. Experience is great teacher so typically find someone with a ten or so years under their belt!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Expectation after upper eyelid surgery

+2

Based on your two images, you can expect more of the upper eyelid to be exposed giving a more open look to your eyes, and it will be easier to put on make up to further enhance the eyelid appearance. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Eyelid surgery.

+2

Your photos limit my exam so I will do the best I can.The extra skin can certainly be removed to improve your appearance. In my past, I have made a new crease at the same time. It gives you a sharper look.Start with a consult from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD (retired)

+1

A posting of your before photos would allow us to compare. Thus very hard to answer. It appears as a very conservative resection. Also you have brow ptosis which BOTOX could elevate some. 

Upper eyelids

+1

You may be a candidate for a brow lift but an exam would be essential. This may be helpful with lateral hooding and then the upper lid can be treated very conservatively.  

Expectations after surgery

+1

good morning Exq

If this is your after photo it's a little difficult for me to judge as I've not seen your before photograph. However, it's a bit early and you may find that your lid still look as heavy in a few months as residual swelling resolves. Then again, at first glance it appears that the surgeon could have been a bit more aggressive with skin removal but without seeing you in person it's very hard to say. Upper eyelid surgery is done frequently by plastic surgeons all over the planet and usually people are doing a pretty good job for the most part. I would express your concerns to your surgeon and don't let the surgeon ignore your concerns. At the same time listen to what they're telling you particularly if they feel removing more skin is not safe for you.  as a facial plastic surgeon I feel I should accept a certain amount of risk orchance that the surgery is not going to turn out as we would like. That being said for all my upper eyelid surgeries I revise or touchup 1 to 2% of them and I tell all my patient sat up front. I always leave a very small margin for additional surgery because if we've gone too far or been too aggressive but it's very hard to reverse. If we feel we need to go a bit further than that's very doable.

I hope that was helpful

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon