What Method to Remove Belly Fat Would Be Best for Me?

I'm a 17 year old girl who is very self-conscious about my body. I'm 5'7" and 160 pounds and I've been trying to lose weight for almost 2 years-with no success! This has taken a toll on my self-esteem tremendously, and I wanna to something about it! I have a lot of fat in my stomach that I'd like to get rid of with lipo, noninvasive lipo, or something else. Then i'd lose the rest of the weight naturally, since I'd see great results! So, what do you think would be the best method for me?

17 Year Old and Liposuction

+1

For patients who are younger, the body tends to be far more malleable, and a workout regimen and healthy diet will produce better results than liposuction.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

In agreement with other responders, difficult to offer professional advice without photos, but my practice is to engage the willing in a powerful and effective weight loss program before considering liposuction.  You CAN lose it, you just haven't had the help you need.  If you have extra weight all over, liposuction is NOT the answer.  Particularly at age 17, my preference is for fat mobilization by calorie burn and intake modification with lifestyle analysis and adjustment instead of surgery.

Steve Laverson, MD

Body contouring

+1

Without an exam, it is impossible to determine what surgery may be beneficial for you.  Good luck with your decision.

Belly Fat Removal

+1

Belly fat can be removed very easily and painlessly under local tumescent liposuction. It is a great motivator to help patients when they have reached a plateau and can't seem to lose more even tho they are dieting and exercising a lot.  Your parents will have to be with you for the consultation and give their approval for the procedure. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Belly fat removal for young girl

+1

Dear Dana,

I think that there are two main issues at stake. First is your desire for weight loss. Second is your desire for improved body shape. With regard to your first issue, there is not magic wand or shortcut. It will require you to take a close look of your diet and lifestyle. Being 17 and healthy, I would recommend that you find a good nutritionist to discuss your food options and a good fitness instructor to setup a suitable training regiment. This will help you reduce your weight and fat, as well as improving your muscle tone and overall fitness.

With regard to your desire to improve shape or contour of your abdomen region, there are also several choices. This is where your are best served by getting a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Make sure your parents are there with you during the consultation. The amount of fat around your abdominal region need to be assessed by the plastic surgeon before a suitable recommendation can be made. 

Sincerely,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Age 17 and overweight.....is LIPOSUCTION a resonable consideration?

+1

Dana,  The situation is you are 17 and at 5 feet - 7 inches and 160 lbs somewhat overweight.   You want to understand what reasonable choices you have.   You have obviously done some homework and know some choices.  Dieting has bee not successful for you.

There is much good news and I have some thoughts for your to ponder.   The great news is that you are not all that much overweight.   You are only 160 and not 200 or 260 so you have a bright future.   I have personally performed over 3700 liposuction procedures at Stanford and at our Plastic Surgery Center in Palo Alto, so my experience is considerable and dates back to 1982.  I can speck with considerable authority.  First and foremost weight loss is the best avenue and I encourage you to really make a sincere effort.  Remember, to thine own self be true in this endeavor.  You can win.   I have done liposuction for teenagers of 14 and up and the situations were very selective.  For all of our 31 patients in this age group we require evaluation, participation, planning, and agreement from the child's pediatrician.   I counsel the parents with the pediatrician participating.  If liposuction is chosen, it must be done with the idea that liposuction is only a jump start.   In a 160 lb person it is unlikely that more than 10 lbs would be removed in total.  If you have liposuction you MUST then, at the bare minimum, match the 10 lbs and end up at 140 by one year after surgery.   If you fail to do this, fail to lose weight, the LIPOSUCTION WILL BE  POSSIBLY WORTHLESS AND IN FACT POSSIBLY  A NEGATIVE.   IF a person gains weight after liposuction the treated ares become progressively lumpy and irregular and it is most unfortunate.  The additional gained weight would most likely go to your shoulders.   Liposuctioned areas become smoother in patients who LOSE WEIGHT.    So weight loss is a mandatory  part of  success.    Without weight loss the liposuction will be worthless in a teenager. 

Non surgical fat loss DEVICES  where some surface gizmo is placed and rubbed over your skin is now and always has been a WORTHLESS WASTE OF YOU MONEY.   I CANNOT IMAGINE THAT THESE DEVICES WERE EVER APPROVED BY THE FDA.   THEY ARE WORTHLESS.

SO VISIT 3 PLASTIC SURGEONS AND GET OPINIONS.  SEE YOUR PEDIATRICIAN.    And please please see only plastic surgeons that are real plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and in addition are Fellows of the American College of Surgeons.   These two criteria MUST be met.  Be a cautious shopper so you have nice results and are safe.   It is a murky dangerous world out there when it comes to shopping for liposuction.

My Best to you Dana.  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon