Age Factor in Lipo? (photo)

Since I'm 65 and obviously don't have skin elasticity of younger person, was wondering if lipo will work or leave me lumpy and saggy where fat is now?

Liposuction in Older Patients

+1
Liposuction can be successfully performed in an older patient, provided that other factors are properly accounted for. A healthy patient in 60’s or 70’s with a localized fatty bulges can achieve pleasing result. It all depends on the goals and willingness to accept some skin looseness in exchange for a more esthetic contour. It takes skills, talent and experience to perform liposuction in a patient with some loss of skin elasticity.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Age Factor in Lipo?

+1

If the fatty deposits are below the bra line liposuction is sometimes very effective, especially as you progress toward the back.  The skin of the back is very thick, and the skin will contract much better than skin elsewhere.  Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Age Factor in Lipo?

+1

The only reason to avoid liposuction in a healthy patient of your age is the loose skin that will be left. If all you want is a reduction in volume and don't care about the look without clothes on, it will work.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction for patients in their 60s is effective

+1

This all depends on what your aesthetic goals are - if you want to reduce fattiness, and not address the substantial skin laxity and myofascial laxity that you have - then liposuction is an option for you.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Age is a conditional consideration in liposuction.

+1

Older patients can successfully undergo liposuction. On balance however the skin does not retract as well to accommodate the new volume which is a consideration.

Age is just one factor in liposuction

+1

Older people do just fine with liposuction if they are otherwise a good candidate.   There are terrible 40 year old candidates and great 70 year old candidates.  Age is just one factor.  My oldest patient did fine at age 79.  She also had a personal trainer 6 days a week for 2 hours a day.  In addition she had a 59 year old boyfriend of long standing.   She did great.  It is the person that must be considered.   You appear to be on the course of a nice result.  At 65 you do have to be realistic.  Of course you will not do as well as a 35 year old of similar weight etc.   Age is a factor but just one factor.  Choose a plastic surgeon boarded by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has great depth of experience in dealing with older patients as well as those of all ages.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

I think your thought process is right.

+1

I am glad you asked this question.  Your are very correct in your observation that skin elasticity has an important role in the use of liposuction for body contouring. When we use liposuction to remove fat, we count on the role of the skin to obtain the final result.  The skin needs to be able to stretch back into a smaller area in order to get good results. 

In your case, liposuction may be a very useful adjunct procedure to treat your arm or abdomen, but would not be an ideal primary procedure.  You have extra skin and loss of elasticity.  Liposuction alone will almost certainly leave you "saggy". 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon