Any Southeastern FL Surgeons Willing to Remove Silicone Injections? Lips, Chin, Cheeks...

My regular surgeon isn't experienced with this issue and he has been very dismissive of my concerns over the years, even though the situation is worsening. I was injected by a Miami "nurse" in her home 20 years ago and have no specific deformity per se - just an increasingly "swollen" look that is very obvious. People judge me harshly based on my appearance; I feel like a freak. It's affecting my mental/emotional state, as I have become extremely depressed, hopeless and introverted. Please help.

Silicone removal in Los Angele

+1

Silicone injections are difficult to remove, but there are some options available to remove the silicone depending on the amount of fibrosis in the tissue.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Silicone injection need experienced plastic surgeon

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Can silicone be removed?

+1

Injections of anything can cause non-specific swelling and persist for years. Bad publicity  notwithstanding, silicone, when administered in Micro-droplet technique, rarely causes foreign body reactions. That being said, I feel there is always something that can be done about this very isolating problem. Reparative therapies I use include intralesional cortisone, incision and drainage, and oral medicines for inflammation. I am always ready to help.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist