What Should I Do with my Bulbous Tip Nose?

The reason I ask the way I did is because I'm concerned that if I was to undergo a cosmetic procedure to correct my nose, could it come out looking really unproportional with the rest of my features. Is my face at best with the nose I was born with? Im very self conscious about it. I've been teased for it and I alone am just not happy with it. I feel my confidence would rise a lot if I could fix my nose. If there was a non surgical way to fix it, I would. But there's not. What do I do...

Bulbous Nasal Tip

+2

*An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will give you a natural result which means that the nose is in harmony with the rest of your facial features. There is no non-surgical technique to "fix" a bulbous tip.

Bulbous tip / could it come out looking unproportional post-surgery?

+2

A cosmetic surgeon has two goals when conducting a rhinoplasty. The first is to ensure optimal nasal function. The second is to ensure that the nose is aesthetically in harmony with the rest of the face. (This is why you cannot simply "order" a certain nose shape.) If you said you were pursuing rhinoplasty simply because you were teased, I would suggest you reconsider. However, given that you state you are not happy with the aesthetics of your nose, I suggest you meet with several board-certified and experienced rhinoplasty surgeons to learn what is possible and what they'd recommend, while seeing how you feel about the process after you've taken this first step.

Best of luck to you as you make this decision.

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Nose Reshaping Surgery

+2

It is hard to give an accurate response without seeing photos of your nose. But it you are that bothered by your nasal tip, perhaps you should get some opinions from local board certified facial plastic surgeons. I have provided a link below to an online chapter that focuses on management of the bulbous nasal tip. Good luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip

+2

Rhinoplasty for a bulbous tip involves a combination of suture techniques to narrow and refine the tip along with conservative cartilage removal. It's also important to balance the new tip with the remainder of the nose,  that is why a full rhinoplasty is usually performed. The  bulbous tip can be addressed through closed rhinoplasty techniques, as an outpatient surgical procedure performed under general anesthesia. Please see the link below for examples similar to your own

A "Bulbous Tip" is a very common concern and is treatable

+2

In my practice, many patients have some of the same concerns that you have shared:

• I'm self conscious about my nose
  • I feel that my "Boulbous Tip" is ugly
  • I'm worried that surgery could make my nose disproportional to my face 
  • I feel I've been teased about my nose and I'm not happy with it

For a rhinoplasty procedure, I am working to achieve a balanced appearance where the nose appears to naturally "fit in" with the features of your face.  In your situation of being bothered by your nose and a bulbous tip, I would consider seeking a consultation to learn more specifically what your options are.

For a consultation in my practice, we set aside time to learn about your history and goals as well as what you see, and I work to share how a procedure may fit for you. We use 3D photography and simulation to look at a 3D "virtual" before and after of your own nose and face (including sometimes consideration of a chin implant or liposuction of the neck). It is very important that at the same time we also review your nasal breathing and how it could be affected by surgery, and I work to educate you about the procedure, even reviewing "rhinoplasty diagrams" with you to explain the mechanics of a proposed procedure.

Seeking plastic surgery is always a very personal decision. We have commonly seen patients that have shared the same feeling and concerns you have and that have been very happy they proceeded with a rhinoplasty. If you think this might be you, I would work to find a surgeon that you feel can best communicate with you and have a personal consultation.

Hope this helps

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and bulbous nose

+1

Without at least seeing photos but better to be seen in person, I can not possibly answer your concern.

Bulbous Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for this question.  I recommend that you seek a formal consultation with a board-certified rhinoplasty plastic surgeon in your area. Bring up these concerns as there are indeed possible options that will work best for you.  Rhinoplasty is really about matching proportions as ideally as possible.  Good luck!

David C. Yao, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon