Full Muscle Repair Without Tummy Tuck Incision?

I had my second child four weeks ago and i am already satisfied with my weightloss and skin elastisity. I have little excess skin that is only noticeable when i bend at the waist and suck in. My concern is repairing the damage done to my muscles from both pregnancies and the skin directly surrounding my belly button. Is it possible to get rid of the surrounding skin and do a full muscle repair thruogh the belly button? And would my muscles be fully functional after i heal? Thank you.

Limited incision or endoscopic abdominoplasty fascial repair

+2

It is possible to repair the fascia vai a small low transverse scar and from around the umbilicus.  An examination would be needed to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure.  

Endoscopic muscle repair without a tummy tuck

+2

It is possible to do an endoscopic repair of the muscles, both above and below the belly button, provided that you do not have any skin laxity. As the muscles are repaired, and the gap between them closed, the skin is also by default brought towards the middle (it is attached to the muscle layer.  Unnatural fullness in the midline area can be alleviated in skin with good tone with undermining techniques to release the skin from the muscle layer.  However, if there are any areas of skin laxity around the belly button, then an endoscopic approach will likely worsen the laxity. In general, a very small percentage of patient are good candidates for this approach. An in person evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon would help you better define your options and possible outcomes. Dr. B

Ramin Behmand, MD

Full muscle repair without Tummy Tuck incision.

+2

Not only is it possible but in the right patient it can yield and excellent result. Then procedure is called endoscopic abdominoplasty and was invented By Dr. Marco Aurelio Farrea-Correa in 1990 in Brazil. I also developed a technique in this country in 1992 as we were unaware of Dr. Correa's work until 1994. I have performed the procedure on patients who are candidates due to having excellent elasticity of the skin with minimal to no excess fat and an isolated muscle laxity called a diastasis recti. I have also presented the technique at our national meeting in 2001 and again in 2011 as well as overseas. The skin does not "bunch up" and actually it looks quite good. However, the candidate for this procedure is rare so i woud need to see a picture of you standing relaxed from the front to see if you meet the criteria. You can learn more on my website under endoscopic abdominoplasty. Keep in mind that recovery from muscle repair is the common denominator in tummy tuck procedures and not the skin incision. Therefore, endoscopic patients have minimal incisions but the same recovery time is needed so anyone who comes to Birmingham for this will need to stay at least a week. Also you need to wait a full 6 months after delivering because your skin will be contracting optimally that entire time and your muscles may recover more as well. 

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Agree with Dr G

+2

While endoscopic repairs of the muscle can be done it is pretty rare that there wouldn't be a benefit from tightening of the skin with excision. Check with a board certified plastic surgeon in you area for options.

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck through the belly button

+2

It is possible to do a muscle repair and tummy tuck through the belly button, but the results are not good because the skin is all bunched up and wrinkled.  It is far better to have a small lower abdominal incision which can be kept low in your bikini line.  With that approach, we don't even need to have an incision at the belly button so there would be no visible scars.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair without tummy tuck incision

+2

Congratulations on your baby and being able to lose weight so fast.  If you are concerned about muscle separation (upper and lower abdomen), it will be difficult to perform the repair just through the belly button.  Your muscle will be function after repair; however, you will need a limited incision on the lower abdomen for muscle plication.

Sugene Kim, MD

+2

It is seldom a good idea to remove excess skin from around the navel. The pulls exerted by healing incisions often widens and distorts the navel, overwhelming the little improvement that was hoped for.;

Some surgeons can treat the diastasis with endoscopic technique. Not all plastic or general surgeons are skilled in the technique, and you may have to check around. 

Best wishes/.

There is no good way to tighten the skin and avoid abdominoplasty.

+1

Repair of the abdominal wall by itself can be performed within minimal incision. The abdominoplasty incision is required to remove excess skin. There's no way to tighten the skin except for surgical removal.

Tummy muscle repair with minimal scar

+1

Many operations have been proposed over the years to address loose skin around the belly button without a tummy tuck scar, but none have been successfully adopted.  For your problem, the best bet may be an endoscopic tummy tuck done through a very short incision in the pubic area.  The scar an be lengthened if you want to remove some loose skin.

Frederick G. Weniger, MD, FACS
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon