Bump Under Diaphragm After TT? (photo)

Hi there.I am 2 weeks PO after a TT with muscle repair& a breast lift with aug. In the last 4 days I have developed a 'line' of what looks like muscle that's gone into a bump with some fluid/ swelling over it. It starts just below my diaphragm and is about 2 inches long. Could it be a muscle spasm there from the muscle repair? I saw my PS yesterday and he felt around the area and looked at it, but it wasn't raised at the time he saw it. Thanks!

Could be spasm, separation or seroma/hematoma... see your PS again.

It’s virtually impossible to make a specific diagnosis regarding your epigastric bulge without performing a physical examination. Your picture demonstrates an excellent result but doesn’t show the bulge.
In the vast majority of patients, this type of bulge is related to intermittent swelling and will probably resolve on its own.Other possible explanations include muscle spasm, separation of the muscle repair, seroma formation and encapsulated hematomas.
Although your surgeon has already evaluated you, it might be helpful to re-evaluated when the bulge is present.Until you are certain that your bulge has resolved, you should maintain close contact with your surgeon.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Small Bump in Upper Abdomen after Mommy Makeover

A small bump that comes and goes in the upper abdomen may be muscle spasm, swelling, small fluid collection, residual muscle laxity, but this is difficult to evaluate without a physical exam.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Seroma vs muscle spasm

Thank you for the question and photo.  A bump that comes and goes is most likely a seroma.  Muscle spasm also seems reasonable but there would be some symptoms associated with it.  A third option is relative weakness of the abdominal wall in upper abdominal area.  This would result in a bump in certain positions but not others.  A seroma should be drained (aspirated) and your plastic surgeon will be the best at assessing this for you as well as treating you if indeed a seroma is present.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Small bump in the epigastic area after tummy tuck is probably a seroma.

I don't find the picture very edifying except that the result looks very good.  Based on percentages, a small seroma is the most likely candidate.  It is easily aspirated in the office.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

What Is The Bump At The Upper End Of My Abdominoplasty?

As Dr. Pousti said, you appear to have had an excellent abdominoplasty and breast surgery.  Kudos to your plastic surgeon for an excellent job.

There are any number of reasons why you might have a bump at the upper end of your abdominoplasty just below the sternum.  It could be muscle spasm, fluid accumulation, or skin bunching.  Any of the three I just mentioned should cure themselves over the next 2 - 3 weeks.  At this point, if I were you, I wouldn't worry much about the bump.  Just be happy about the incredibly good appearing results at such an early stage of your recovery. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

1221 Kapiolani Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96814

“Bump” after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Congratulations on what looks to be a very nice early result after breast and abdominoplasty surgery.  Of course, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you about the “bump” you are experiencing. Yes, it could be related to the muscle repair, could be a fluid accumulation ( localized seroma) or just postoperative swelling…

I  would suggest follow-up with your plastic surgeon for evaluation; arrange an earlier follow up if necessary.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942