Does this sound like skin cancer?

I've had a large dark mole on my face my whole life and out of the blue today, it has become raised. It's on a side of my face where I get acne a lot so I'm thinking since it became raised in a matter of hours, there may be a pimple under it.

Changing mole on the face

+1
From your description you probably do have a pimple under your mole. However, if it does not return to "normal" you should have it examined by a dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. It is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.
You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon