What Sort of Tummy Tuck Would I Need? (photo)

Hi guys, Im starting to research getting a tummy tuck after 2 bubbys and a lovely collection of stretch marks. Really thats all i want to get rid of im not too unhappy with the weight so do you's think a tummy tuck would have a good chance of removing them as they are below my belly button? and are there different kinds of tummy tucks? Thanks heaps in advance :)

Type of tummy tuck

+2

There are different names given to the types of tummy tucks available, but I wouldn't get too caught up on the terms. Such as mini-tummy tuck, short-scar tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, lipoabdominoplasty.

The most important thing for you is customising the procedure to your goals.

Looking at the images you have posted, I believe you would benefit from a tummy tuck, whether it is a full or mini-tummy tuck can be discussed in person and really depends on how lax the skin is below the belly button and whether you need to reposition the belly button.

In short, a tummy tuck can target 3 things;

1) Excess skin below the belly button, including the skin that has stretch marks in the middle NOT on the sides.

2) Muscle separation.

3) Fat in the lower abs and flanks. You may not need liposuction as you look slim but this needs to be discussed following a consultation.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Which type of TT?

+2

Hello and thanks for your post. Your photos seem to show a high belly button, minimal weakness of the muscles and minimal to moderate skin excess. Some stretch marks are visible. Let's be sure you're done having kids before undergoing a TT? You might consider a tummy tuck that focuses on the lower part of the abdomen like a mini, but removes more skin and tightens the lower muscles. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

What Sort of Tummy Tuck Would I Need?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. The gentleman in the background with "thumbs up"  adds a nice touch.  I think you have done a nice child achieving a long-term stable weight after pregnancies and are a good candidate for standard tummy tuck surgery.

My best advice is to seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of  experience achieving the types of results you will be pleased with.

I also have attached some advice I provide to my patients prior to undergoing tummy tuck or mommy makeover surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

What Sort of Tummy Tuck Would I Need?

+2

You may want to consider a short scar tummy tuck, which will have the same length scar as the minitummy tuck but will remove about twice as much skin as well as allow tightening of the abdominal wall.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy Tuck

+2

You appear to be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and expectations.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Maybe a "mini"...

+2

Hi ebonybasten.  I think your pictures show abdominal wall laxity below the belly button, and little excess skin or fat.  Although most patients need a "full" tummy tuck, you may be one who would have a nice result with a lesser operation.  A "mini" tummy tuck will tighten the abdominal wall below the belly button, and remove a modest amount of skin and fat.  The advantage is no scar around the umbilicus and a shorter horizontal scar.  I suggest you see a plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation. 

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for the question.  You will be best served by a full tummy tuck.  A full tummy tuck will result in the best combination of improvement with regards to removal of stretch marks, loose skin, and abdominal wall tightening.  If the incision is kept very low you may end up with a small vertical incision (an inch or so) near your pubic bone where the prior belly button location used to be.  This is not a big deal and well worth having a very low incision.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck surgery

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  You could consider a full or a mini.  Hard to know specifically without examining you in person.  Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon