Sores Developing on the Area Bruised After Liposuction 11 Days Ago on Abdomen Area. What Could This Be?

I had full body liposuction on my abs, flanks and inner thighs 11 days ago. The pain was unbearable the first 6 days. Lortabs did NOT work. I went for my lymphathic massage on day 4 and I was nearly screaming at the top of my lungs when she ran the ultrasound across my abdomen and especially the sides which is where the bruising was most concentrated. 10 days later, I am still sore but I have what appears to be torn skin and a sore the size of a silver dollar that has bright red flesh.

Sores after Liposuction?

+2

You are experiencing a complication that should be dealt with as soon as possible by your plastic surgeon. Unfortunately, unlike consultants will not be helpful to you.

Check back with your doctor if you are concerned about your liposuction recovery.

+2

It is always best to check back with your doctor if you are concerned.  If you are being treated by an experience physician who has done a lot of liposuction, he/she will know what to do. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin breakdown after liposuction

+2
I do not understand why patients feel the need for lymphatic massage after liposuction. It may be the gimmick du jour but you should be healing. The pain you describe is unusual as well. I am not a fan of full body liposuction and perhaps you are an instructional case in when less can be more, or at least less painful and traumatic. You should definitely see your surgeon for these concerns and for treatment of the open wound.

Robert L. Kraft, MD