Sore Muscles After Wearing Compression Garment Following Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I had tummy tuck with muscle repair 2 weeks ago. My PS has given me a stage 1 compression garment. The size of the garment is correct. But whenever I wear it I have extremely sore muscles specially in upper abdomen from my rib cage to belly button. When I wear the abdominal binder this does not happen. Is this normal?

Sore Muscles After Wearing Compression Garment

+2

I am not sure what a stage 1 compression garment is. Check out any changes with your surgeon, but if the binder is more comfortable, it makes sense to use just that. You might also consider Spanx or similar mild compression garment. 

Thanks and best wishes.

Compression Garments Can Cause Problems

+1
Compression garments are designed to help reduce postop swelling and speed up your recovery.  They are supposed to be well fitting based on measurements.  In some situations, the design of the garment may not fit your body type well and cause undue compression in some areas and looseness in others.  If too tight, the garment can cause depressions that can lead to permanent contour irregularities.  This is more common after liposuction rather than a tummy tuck.  If he garment is causing you pain, I would recommend removing it and calling your physician to discuss what other options are available to you.  Best of luck!

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Garments after a tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and for the photos. There are a variety of different garments and devices that can be used after a tummy tuck to provide support to the repaired muscles. While some form of support in your case is likely needed, a garment that provides this and yet is comfortable should be found. I would suggest contacting your plastic surgeon about exchanging this for a more comfortable version. In the interim, he may have you wear the abdominal binder instead. 

Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Soreness from garment after tummy tuck

+1

Compression garments should be worn to protect the muscles after plication, but if the garment is uncomfortable you should get another one.  There is no particular magic about this: just get some comfy support.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Sore Muscles After Wearing Compression Garment Following Tummy Tuck?

+1

No that is NOT the usual occurrence. Best to contact your PS to discuss this issue. I might recommend stopping the garment.