I Have a Sore Which Has Appeared in my Belly Button After Surgery and the Flesh Where It is is Numb, What Is It?

2 weeks ago I have had an umbilical hernia repaired and a new belly button made, The hernia seemed to be healing but the area around my belly button is completely numb and I have a small sore on it inside the belly button which is getting bigger. I am worried that it is going to get worse. Doctors said lets wait and see!

Belly Button Issues

+2

Dear Anxiousannie,

While you did not mention about having a tummy tuck with your procedures, it is normal to have some numbness in both the lower abdomen and around the navel.  The tissues of the belly button do not have the greatest blood supply and this an be compromised during surgery, especially if an umbilical hernia repair is also being performed.  This can result in a slower healing rate inside the navel than on the outside.  This can appear as a scab or an area of redness or even paleness to the tissues.  With gentle care and monitoring, these sites usually heal nicely with a very aesthetic result.  It is also possible that one of the underlying sutures is irritating the skin which again usually resolves without any extra treatment.

Continue to closely follow up with your plastic surgeon and they will get you through this bothersome issue.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Belly button sore

+2

Sometimes the skin inside the belly button can be damaged during a hernia repair.  If this is due to an absorbable suture underneath, it will generally not cause a problem.  If there is a  non absorbable suture under that area, it may be an issue.  Your surgeon would be the best to advise you on this issue.

Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Sore Which Has Appeared in my Belly Button After Surgery

+2

A photo would help, otherwise this is a total guess. 

My total guess is that it is a buried suture close to the surface. If your surgeon has seen this, you needn't be concerned. If not, your surgeon should see it.