Sore and Tender Upper and Lower Eyelids 8 Weeks Post Op?

I had upper blepharoplasty with supratarsal fixation, ptosis correction & lower eyelid surgery with canthopexy 8 weeks ago. Had severe pain and was hospitalized for a night. Upper and lower still sore and tender when gently removing make up. Is it possible they are still healing? Could I still have swelling?

Yes...still healing

+1

This is absolutely still possible. Everyone's healing reponse is different and some patients will have swelling and pain lasting months after surgery.

Be patient with your body.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery Recovery: Soreness and Tenderness After

+1

Swelling after eyelid surgery could last up to 6 months to a year to complete the healing process after blepharoplasty. You had combination procedures (Ptosis surgery, lower eyelid surgery) which makes your case unique. If you are concerned, you should seek your doctor's advice.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

The ptosis repair and the supratarsal fixation means the surgery was more invasive than a typical upper and lower eyelid surgery, so the healing time would be increased.  I tell my eyelid surgery patients that it takes about 3 months for the eyelids to heal, longer when the above mentioned procedures are also inciuded.   

Soreness 8 weeks after eyelid surgery

+1

Some people do experience swelling that lasts an extended period. This can be due to your physiology, or possibly due to absorbable sutures still breaking down. Continue to follow up with your surgeon. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon