Are You Allowed to Run Right After Ear Surgery? (photo)

Giant ears

Exercise after Surgery

+2

Although guidelines vary among surgeons, I recommend that my patients refrain from intense physical activity (such as running) for approximately 4 weeks after surgery. This allows the body to heal sufficiently without any excessive external forces acting on the area of surgery. It is important to follow the instructions outlined by your doctor and to attend all follow up appointments.

When can I run after otoplasty?

+1

Generally speaking, intense physical activity should be limited for the first week after any surgical procedure.  This is to avoid large spikes in blood pressure which can create bleeding from cauterized blood vessels.  In addition, the ear may have sutures holding it in position.  Running or any other intense physical activity can tear the sutures, impairing a final result.  Gradual increase in activity is a more prudent approach.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

After your Otoplasty

+1

In the first five days after surgery, it is important to avoid any activity which will elevate the blood pressure and swelling. This can potentially produce bruising under the skin and may cause bleeding as well. In addition, a firm dressing is usually worn 3-5 days after surgery. Generally, I suggest rest and light activity after this surgical procedure.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Running after Otoplasty

+1

Running is fine after surgery as long as proper precautions are made to avoid trauma to the ears especially for the first month post surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Otoplasty and running and when should we start

+1

otoplasty and running and when should we start. I generally say that you get 60% of your healing at 6 weeks and 80% at 6 months and you should gauge your activity by this. I would start exercising 2 weeks after the procedure but be at around 20-30% and work up to the 60% at 6 weeks. Doing this for your child will be the challenging part.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after otoplasty

+1

Normally I'd say it's fine.  I would give it about 3 to 5 days, preferably a few more.  If we're talking about this cute young lady in the picture you have to ask yourself, "Is she likely to get into some mischief and damage her ear?"  If you're going to go through the time, expense, and effort of surgery why not give yourself or child time to heal.  The fibrous wound bed is still weak in that first week post op and the ear is subject to opening up if pulled or struck to hard.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD 

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Physical Activity After Otoplasty

+1

There is no problem with running after otoplasty surgery. I would just be careful about any physical activities in the first month after surgery that risks potential trauma to the ears. The sutures holding the cartilage in place could become loosened and the new ear shape shape partially or completely lost.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Ear pinning

+1

After ar pinning (ottoplasty) in children it is important to avoid any activity that may cause any trauma to the ear. Ask your doctor how to protect the ears with special deressings,